Tuesday, June 9, 2009

An update (or two) from the doctor

The doctor who has delivered all of my babies is currently on a church service mission. I saw him twice this pregnancy before it was time to find a new doctor. I was bummed (but happy for him). The doctors who took his place in his absence are fine doctors, but I had grown to love going to a single practice doctor, so I began my search for a new doctor. I called around, asked for recommendations, and finally decided on my current doctor. I love his office. His staff is amazing, helpful and kind, (and probably loyal, thrifty and brave, too) and I have never waited more than 5 minutes in the waiting room. He is one of the nicest men you will ever meet.
However, my last two appointments have left me wondering if I am really going to a single practice doctor's office. Here is a rundown of my last two appointments. See if you can spot the inconsistencies:
37 weeks: Dilated to a 1, 75% effaced, baby at -1 station. His comment was, "That's good progress for 37 weeks. I wouldn't be surprised if I got a call from the hospital this week saying you were there." He also said that due to my history of delivering big babies he wanted to induce me about a week early, which would be around the 14th. (My official due date is the 22nd.)
I didn't put much stock into his statement about possibly going into labor this week. I know there are lots of women who walk around dilated to much more than a 1 for weeks. I have never delivered this early before, so I didn't think this time would be any different. I admit that the mind game did come in to play this weekend, when I started to have LOTS of pre-labor symptoms. I spent the majority of Saturday morning google searching my symptoms. (Does anyone else do that?) I found out what I already knew--that the symptoms I was having could mean the baby was coming the next day or in a couple of weeks. I even started timing contractions on Sunday because they were starting to feel consistent. When I got up and went about my day, they stopped. I thought for sure they had to be doing something to help me progress. My appointment was Monday..
38 weeks: Dilated to a 1, 75% effaced, baby up higher than he was last week. I admit that I was shocked! I have had 4 babies, so I'm fairly confident I know what a contraction feels like. They haven't been the hard "this is it!" contractions, but I have felt a lot of definite tightening, lots of pressure, lower back pain, and cramping. Apparently these episodes have helped me go backward in progress. His comment? "If I were a gambling man, I would bet I'll see you again next week." and "Your due date is the 22nd, so as that nears we'll think about setting a date for induction. I don't want to see you go too far past your due date."
Um...remember last week when I was probably going to deliver at any time and we were going to induce a week early? I'm not sure what brought about his change of heart, but as he left the room I looked at Darin and laughed! A lot of people have asked why I didn't question the discrepancies. The reason is that I am happier with option #2. I really don't want to be induced this time, and am fine to wait until the baby decides he's ready to come. In fact, it has helped me immensely to ignore the tightening/pressure/cramping that is still happening. I will know when it's the real thing, and in the meantime I can go about my day, not worrying about every little ache or practice contraction. The only thing I'm feeling sheepish about is the fact that after my 37 week appointment when I found out that I was going to have the baby around the 14th, I started to tell people when I was due based on that date instead of my original due date (my mistake), and now people are going to think I'm overdue if I make it to my due date. The important thing is that I know he will come out eventually. It's very exciting to think that it could be any time, but also reassuring to know that even if he stays inside me until my due date or a couple of days later, it's still not that far away! I feel like I am having my very own Internet dating experience. I am madly in love with this stranger that I have never met face to face. I spend a lot of time daydreaming about what he will look like, what it will feel like to hold him in my arms, and wondering how our first meeting will take place. I shave my legs every day just in case that happens to be the day we finally meet, and the thought of him keeps me up at night (the fact that he is sitting directly on my bladder may have something to do with that, too). It makes me giddy thinking that I will soon be holding my little guy.
As anxious as I am to have him join our family, I really want to make it to my appointment next Monday. I have been wondering what the doctor could say this week. It could make for some very interesting wagers. Anyone want in?
In other news, my heart jumped today as I reached for the milk. I wait for this milestone every pregnancy, and it's here!

I know I'm not the only one who does this. I saw the same thing on a friend's blog when she was pregnant, and I was so glad to know I wasn't the only one who starts to look at the date on the milk as pregnancy comes to a close. It will be so exciting to see which expires first--my pregnancy or the milk in my fridge.
I have been trying to stay distracted and laugh a lot. I like to laugh. Helping me tremendously has been this clip from YouTube. I came across it during my Saturday morning google search. I don't know if it's funny to me because I'm about to give birth or if it's just funny because it's funny. You be the judge. This woman was given medication before the epidural to take the edge off, and instead of relaxing her and making her calm, it made her a little loopy.

14 comments:

Laura said...

When all is said and done, the "new man" in your life will appear when he's good and ready. In the meantime, I'm glad that you can laugh and enjoy all the ironies of pregnancy.

Beth said...

So...backwards huh?? A little random..but sure! I hope that it works out and you just can go into labor and not have to be induced...sooner rather than later! :)

Maleen said...

Who could that friend be who posts about milk expiration dates?? She must be pretty cool.
I went and saw Kari's baby tonight (very precious) and it makes me excited for you. You get to meet your little guy so soon.

Pike's Place said...

Good luck! I'm so excited for you!

Ali the B. said...

Let me know if I can bring you any new razors! :)
I am so excited for you & when I was reading about your love affair with this baby, I got a tiny bit jealous(in a good way) that you get to experience this again!! Enjoy it & don't wish it away too soon!!
Let me know if I can do anything to help!!
Toodles!!

Carrie said...

I think your attitude is in just the right place, he will be here soon enough. And knowing you, once he is on his way it wont be long at all. I can't wait to see this Moses baby, your babies are so beautiful! Love your family and you, keep us far away friends updated.

Jodi said...

Oh it gets so hard to wait down the stretch. And then to hear you are going back in progress! I'm glad you can laugh because I go crazy towards the end!

Becky said...

Ugh! I hate the final weeks. But, I am glad that you are staying calm and enjoying your last stage of pregnancy. He will be here soon.

Melanie said...

Oh, even though those last few weeks are hard, they are also so magical and I am really going to miss that exciting journey to the hospital in anticipation and those first few moments exploring the new baby and snuggling them up. Enjoy it!!! I can't wait to see the pictures of your new guy. They are all such handsome boys, I know this one will be too. :)

Anonymous said...

so the milk says JASON, does that mean you are going to name that baby that? LOL

it also stands for julyaugustseptoctnov LOL

Jodi said...

LOVE that video!! Hilarious!!!

Adrianne Miller said...

I DID THE MILK THING TOO!!!!!
You are very close to done. I have no idea how are having 5 kids. One is about to do me in!

Rynell said...

I'm so excited for you!

That video made me laugh too. So hilarious!

Unknown said...

So good of you to keep a great attitude. I think doctors just forget what they said the week before...maybe they don't get much sleep either. Keep us posted we are very excited for you.