Sunday, June 28, 2009

He has a special glow...and a tail

When the pediatrician came to check on Brigham Friday morning he said that Brig had a slight case of jaundice. He recommended that we take a biliblanket home with us. When he found out we weren't checking out until evening, he said he wanted Brig under the lights at the hospital to give it a jump start (the hospital lights are much more powerful than the biliblanket). Friday was a lonely day. He was under the lights all day except for feedings. I went down to the nursery a few times to see him. He looked so sweet with his goggles and looked comfy.


I was grateful that his case wasn't severe enough to have to keep him in the suitcase at home. It would have been torture not to be able to hold him! He has had the biliblanket since Friday night. It is slightly annoying to have him tethered to a machine, but much better than the alternative. Here is a glimpse of his special glow (the light is on a pad that stays on his back and connects to his "tail"--the cord)


Here are some more photos from his first few days:
Getting ready to go home:

Evidence of his calming effect:

9 comments:

Jodi said...

I have never heard of one of those blankets. Definitely better than keeping him under lights. He is gorgeous.

Cindy B said...

He's just such a cutie!

shawna said...

Such a beautiful little boy! Congrats! You are a total stud for going all out on your own. Your description of the whole event made me want another one! Don't tell Chuck!

We will be up for 4th of July. I know I will be busy and you will be busy. . .but maybe we can cross busy paths!

Enjoy your little one and take it all in, the smells, the sounds, the touch! Love ya!

Maleen said...

I have never even heard of the blanket, but I love that you can snuggle them while they are de-jaundicing. I remember laying skinny little 5 lb. Robyn in the sun to help get rid of her jaundice. Luckily we never needed the suitcase either.

Laura said...

I love the "calming effect" pictures. It's amazing what holding a sleeping baby will do for and to you.

Carrie said...

So cute! The one of Darin sleeping is the only way I remember him at our house. lol

Becky said...

He's so precious! I almost miss when Nicole was that little and new.

Katie said...

It's been a while since I've been able to really get online, so this is the first that I've seen your cute little guy. He's so cute. I love his special glow and cute little tail. So cute. Congratulations!

Rynell said...

I've had biliblankets with all 4 of my kids. One of my kids had to have the biliblanket AND the suitcase. Ahhh, jaundice. It's good it is short-lived. My kids needed lights for about one week, the worst case needed them for almost two weeks.

He is such an adorable baby, I just love that sweet, peaceful newborn snuggle! I'm sure your whole family is enjoying him.