Thursday, August 30, 2007

A visit from Grandpa

Grandpa just left from a two week stay at our house. We LOVE it when he comes! The house seems a little empty (which should be difficult with a house full of little kids) with him gone. Here are some of my favorite things about my father-in-law:

-His moustache
-His white "Members Only" jacket. I'm sad we didn't get a picture of him wearing it. He upgraded to a sport coat for the journey home.
-His smile and his laugh
-He loves the sound of children. I kept apologizing for the noise in my home to which he would reply, "Oh, I love it. I miss it. My house is too quiet."
-He is willing to bend the truth a little bit about loving the noise of children.
-He is CONSTANTLY doing projects. Last time he was here he prepped and painted two rooms, helped me put together a dresser, helped install a microwave at Darin's brother's house (and I'm sure I'm forgetting a few). This time he got his sister's car working, helped his cousin with her computer, pulled weeds at his sister's house, hooked up a cable in our guest room, and almost fixed a broken chair (we didn't have the right supplies, and we ran out of time). He says that projects are what keep him going. He loves helping people.
-He is the Dance Club President in his retirement community. He sends us the e-mails (complete with clip art and music) of his jokes and speeches he gives at all the dances. He has the rest of the year planned out, and is constantly thinking of new ways to improve attendance at the dances.
-He loves buffets. His favorites are The Home Town Buffet and the Asian Buffet. I like to go with him. (We made it to Golden Corral this time)
-I love how he underlines (twice) and capitalizes important things that need emphasizing when he writes something down.
-He helps me be related to Wilford Woodruff (Wilford Woodruff is his great grandfather--only one great, which means that he is Darin's great great grandfater, and my kids' great great great grandfather).
-He is one of my very favorite people.



Here is Grandpa with Darin, Warren, and David (Olivia and Sean left for school before Grandpa woke up).

Darin with his dad



G.W., Me, and David


We love you, Grandpa, and we miss you already!

10 comments:

buhlersdayoff said...

So adorable. I love having those kind of relationships with people...they are priceless.

jennie said...

Do you have any idea how much I love little old men? It's true. (I think it's because I'm a )nurse. But I LOVE him!!!

Ker said...

OK Deanne--what a cute grampa--I love calling your house and hearing him take messages. You should share his message of how he interpreted Maleens name!

Jodi said...

Great pics of Darins dad. I love the black and white. How lucky you are to have such a great father-in-law and such a wonderful grandpa for your kids!

Wright Family said...

He looks and seem like a very classy guy. He reminds me of my grandpa's. Thanks for sharing.

Deanne said...

So...as per Keri's request, here is the story. Last time he was here I came home to a message from Darin's dad that "Louina" called. I don't know anyone by that name, so I checked caller I.D. I giggled when I saw that Maleen had called. I don't know, Louina kind of has a ring to it, don't you think? What a sweet man!

Jodi said...

He sounds like a great guy! I love to hear about what makes people tick!

Anonymous said...

Deanne you look soooo beautiful in your pic! I LOVE that picture of Grandpa!

can you email me?

spastic1225@hotmail.com

glad to have your blog bookmarked again :)

Maleen said...

Very sweet. It makes me really miss having my grandparents around.

A Lil'of Jewel said...

Wow! I noticed that there is a commentary section for EACH section. However; I am just going to give you the overall comments. 1st. You are an awesome mom...I should know because I live next door to you. 2. Your children are above average. 3. You crack me up with those "belated" packages. It's ok! It's hilarious..but certainly ok. 4. I miss your Grandpa too, he really is a very nice guy! Loved it all Deanne, keep up the most incredible work ever!!