Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Treasure in the form of ziploc baggies...

A while back (obviously during birthday festivities: note Sean's spiderman suit and the birthday balloons), I sent the kids on a treasure hunt for family night. Since it was around Pioneer Day I looked online to see what fun ideas I could find. For the lesson, we went on the treasure hunt and briefly talked about the difference between pioneer times and now, and how blessed we are to have the things we have now. Imagine their delight when the treasure was a ziploc baggie filled with milk, sugar, and vanilla. HUH?? Their expressions turned from disappointment to mild excitement when I told them we would make ice cream out of it! They had fun making the ice cream. Olivia asked, "Is this how the pioneers made it?" I replied that they didn't have ziploc baggies, but they probably did the same thing in tin cans. It actually turned out great! It was delicious, and the kids were proud that they made it themselves!

Here they are making the ice cream...



And here they are showing off the finished product...



David didn't make any of his own, but the kids shared. This is the second picture I took of Darin and David. In the first one, Darin had his mouth open...you know the way parents open their mouths when the kids are supposed to open their mouths to help the food get in? So here is Darin smiling as he concentrates on keeping his lips closed.

Yummy! It was a fun and tasty way to celebrate Pioneer Day. We are so thankful for our pioneer heritage, and all they did to pave the way for us.
If you want to make your own ice cream, you can find the recipe here. The treasure hunt can be found here.

5 comments:

denise @ little ant design said...

What a fun fhe. I'll have to try and remember to come to your blog next year so I can use this idea for the next pioneer day.

I'm sure the kids loved making their own ice cream. We've made it by rolling cans before but I have never thought about using a bag - another idea for me to steal, er, I mean borrow.

Ker said...

WAY TO GO FUN! I am sure they had a super time.

megan said...

I love homemade ice cream and even better getting the kiddos involved. What a great idea for the pioneer holiday. I will be going to the link to get the recipe.
P.S. I am one of those parents that do that and I also do it when I use scissors. I know weird.

Jodi said...

I cannot believe how grown up David looks in that picture! And Olivia is growing so fast as well! What a fun idea for FHE :)

Maleen said...

I will totally have to try that. Thanks for sharing the idea.