Friday, August 17, 2007

Nice Work!

This past week we have been getting ready for Darin's dad to come visit. This process has included cleaning out closets and cupboards, rearranging, de-junking, and organizing. Part of the rearranging was moving a bookshelf from the guest room to the boys' room. It was a process in and of itself. It was not only time to move the books, but to sort through them, and organize them into categories (hard cover, board books, etc.). At one point the books were stacked in piles, and some of the piles covered the boys' drawers. As I sent the boys up to get dressed I had forgotten that the drawers were covered, and they couldn't get to their clothes. I finished sorting and carefully placing the books on the shelf, then sent the boys up again to get dressed. Sean said, "Mom, we can't get dressed. Remember the books are blocking the drawer?" I replied, "Just go take a peek in your bedroom." As he walked in his room he said, (quite enthusiastically) "Whoa! Nice work, Mom!!!" I had to chuckle, and I admit that I felt proud of myself for a job well done, and it gave me the boost I needed to keep going with the rest of my housework. It was like a pat on the back from my boss, if you will. Who says being a mom is a thankless job?

11 comments:

Jodi said...

It looks awesome...now that you are all practiced up, you can come and help me with my closets, books, cupboards, sewing room, storage room, etc...

Jenny Dahl said...

We finally made it home from our trip to Utah and I was anxious to say hello again. It really was great to meet you and your family at the reunion. I'll very much look forward to visiting your site and checking in on all your great ideas. And yes, your bookshelf looks great!

Maleen said...

I love it when the kids actually notice that you work so hard--it is rewarding. It's nice to be back and read blogs again. I missed you guys!

Tiffany said...

love it. . .what better compliment could there be!

shawna said...

that is a TALL bookshelf! it seems like every day I am picking up Alaina's books. Not a one is ever put back. Don't know what the trick is. For now I am just thankful that she loves books and reading so much. Someday I will crack down on her and make her clean up after her bookworm spells.
And I totally agree, a compliment from your kids on a job well done just hits the spot like no other!

Ker said...

Very nice Dean! Do you feel liberated? I know I do when I work hard, organize and clean!

buhlersdayoff said...

So do you hire out? I have decided that I definately need to clean a few of the "areas" that have formed in our house but I just can't get myself to do it!!!

Kelly said...

Nothing better than getting things organized...and getting recognition for your hard work makes it even better!

Renee said...

I do love when my kids notice something that I have accomplished as well. Good job! Now it's my turn to start doing some organizing of my own. Oh and by the way...I loved the ice cream idea. I will definitely be trying it!

megan said...

nothing better than getting a complement on your work from your kids. Sometimes being a house wife it is a thankless job and just plain under appreciated, so when someone says nice work then you feel pretty dang good about yourself. I have to say nice work too dean you are a great mom and a great wife too.

Kellie said...

you really do have a knack at organizing! I still try and get my books to look like that! I'm not as good, trade? haha way to go now you are in the enjoying stage of all your hard work!