Friday, August 24, 2007

Back to School!

Have a fun summer! check. Stay Cool! check. Call me! check. See you next year! check. Here we are. Back to school. It's hard to believe we're here, but ready or not, here it came. I loved summer, but to everything there is a season, and I was also ready to get back to the structure of a schedule. I think my kids were, too (even though they won't admit it). The night before school was full of butterflies (the nervous kind and the excited kind), labeling & organizing school supplies, packing backpacks, and little sleep. We all woke up early, and had a great start to the day. I think you morning people really have something going! (I'm not quite ready to call myself a morning person yet, since it has only been a week, but I have a feeling I'll join your ranks very soon!) Our morning routine has gone smoothly all week, and I have loved it! I'm hoping it doesn't fizzle out. Here's how it goes:

Step One: Mom and Dad awake and ready
Step Two: Kids awake
Step Three: Breakfast, scriptures, and prayer
Step Four: Kids make beds, brush teeth, get dressed, comb Sean's hair, lunches ready
Step Five: Sean to bus stop (usually accompanied by the entire family. When David hears the door open he yells, "ME, ME", and we all end up taking a little walk.)
Step Five: Olivia's hair, Olivia practice piano
Step Six: Olivia's carpool comes (She is participating in a pilot A.L.L. program in the district, and goes to a different school)
It really makes me look like a put-together mom, doesn't it? (Keeping my fingers crossed it lasts the whole year--don't hold your breath!)
Here are some pictures from the first day:


Sean at the bus stop


With his buddy, Ryan...



GOING...

GOING...
GONE.
Deep breath, big sigh. There he goes. It was harder than I thought. I put on my brave face, knowing that he was in good hands and that all would be well. I think it's our job as moms to worry a little bit. It just means we love our kids, right?
After the bus was gone, we headed home to get Liv ready. Here she is sporting her new camo outfit and backpack (apparently these bags you wear over your shoulder are all the rage, as I have seen a plethera of them this year. Is this a new fad, or have I just been out of it? Anyway, I like them, and think they're cool, too. Good choice, Liv).

David was sad his sister/second mom was leaving for school.

Her carpool came right on time. Another deep breath, another big sigh. I think the first day of school was the longest day of my life! I can't count how many times I looked at the clock, wondering when they would be back. They finally did, and they brought with them mostly happy reports of the day (except that Olivia spent recess alone- that broke my heart! She knows maybe 3 kids at the school, and I guess she was feeling pretty lonely. I assured her that it would be better the next day, and even better the next. I suggested that she called her friend, Brooklyn, from her old school. She did, and I cried while she was talking to her! I just want to know that I am doing what's best for my kids, and it's hard to know that all the time, especially when they struggle. I told her to keep trying, that she would make friends in no time, and gave her a hug--more for me than for her. The rest of the week has been fabulous, and we are both feeling a lot better. Sorry for the tangent.). Sean had zero complaints. He is loving every second of it. He is thrilled that he has TWO recesses, and loves his new lunch bag. He's feeling pretty big (and he is). It will be summer again before we know it. Until then, we'll enjoy the structure, and be ready for the summer when it comes. Happy back to school, everyone!

9 comments:

Jodi said...

Great bus pictures. They look so grown up and so excited for the first day!

Wright Family said...

I loved the pictures of your kids. After reading your blog and Ker's I'm feeling left out about sending my kids off to school. Though Seth will be starting Pre-School next month. I probably shouldn't hope for things that will make my kids grow up faster than they already are.

Tiffany said...

We will be in the same boat next week. Oregon doesn't start school until after Labor Day, ugh. WEll, I guess I just have to enjoy these last Summer days! Hope all goes well with Liv's program.

Jodi said...

A couple of comments on this great entry-
1. Ryan and Shawn are so grown up. I can't even believe it.
2. What school is Olivia going to? Congrats on her new adventures.
3. I know David didn't realize what was going on, but he looked so sad to have Olivia leaving him!
4. I almost cried hearing about you crying when Olivia was on the phone!

Ker said...

OMG Dean! Livy looks so cute! Love her stylin outfit! Dont worry, give her a week, and she will love it! Im sad that the kids are growing up so fast, but LOVE watching them grow -and their stages of life that we are all in.

Renee said...

Awe, that broke my heart about Olivia. It is so hard to see your kids struggle with life situations sometimes. But then they figure it out and pull through and everything is fine. We start school after Labor Day. I can't wait to be back on a schedule.

megan said...

that makes me sad about Oliva. I know that next week will be better time for her and you can't fault a mom who wants what is best for her. Holly didn't know anyone last year and i put an extra treat in her lunch to give to some to break the ice at lunch. I wish my mornings were as smooth as yours are. it is crazyville.

jennie said...

Great pics Deann!!! Thanks for coming to check out my new house!

Maleen said...

Oh my goodness. It just makes me want to hold on to my kids so tight until it is their turn to go. I'm not ready yet.