Friday, May 29, 2009

Nesting

This momma bird (me) is getting the nest ready for the upcoming arrival of Baby Bird. As I have been de-junking and cleaning, words of wisdom from my momma bird keep coming to mind.
1) By the inch it's a cinch, by the yard it's hard.
2) It has to get worse before it can get better. (This advice only applies when you ignore rule #1; you know, when the simple chore of maintaining turns into a project. This unfortunately was the case in my guest/toy/storage room and it has been very overwhelming. It is already much better--still not done, but I'm grateful to be past the "worst" part.)
3) "That which we persist in doing becomes easier to do. Not that the nature of the thing has changed, but our power to do has increased."
These words of wisdom have helped me get through the yucky parts of the projects I have been tackling lately. And although it hasn't been fun, it has definitely been rewarding to see progress and know I'm capable of so much more than I sometimes give myself credit for. In addition to seeing progress, my sorting and organizing of the toy room also allowed the following conversation to take place.
David had just woken up from a nap. He found the bin of dress-ups (of both the Spiderman kind and the princess kind) and requested the Cinderella dress. He then completed the outfit with pink sparkly high heels and announced, "I'm a princess!"
Me: You better come give me a hug!
David: I love you, Mom
Me: I love you too, David
David: No! Say 'I love you too, princess!'
Me: I love you too, princess!
The Cinderella dress didn't stay on long, but the pink shoes stayed with him for the rest of the day. In fact, he wore them to Savanah's house to play Barbies. When he came back, a pink flower ring joined the pink sparkly shoes as a nice accessory.

8 comments:

Maleen said...

He is so adorable. Good pictures to show the girlfriends later :)

My newest cleaning thing is setting a timer for ten minutes and only working at a certain project until the timer beeps. If I want to do more on that project, I can, but if it is no fun, I move on for the moment.
The kids each get a chore to work at for ten minutes too.

Pike's Place said...

Wise words from Aunt Roberta! I loved that picture of you with her. And your son looks dashing as a princess. :)

Harward Happenings said...

Beckam would love to play dress up with your little guy. He likes to wear Brylie's pink dress up shoes all over the house all the time.

Ker said...

Oh my cute little David Lova! Hopefully he will get that he is the Prince soon, but until then he is the cutest princess in the world.
BTW- You can do it Dean! You are amazing. I love your moms advice.

Carrie said...

He is such a sweet boy! Love him!

Anonymous said...

that is one secure kid! I love it!

Natalie said...

Luke used to like to dress up with Kaycee too. John always died when he did but I assured him it was normal. Although I gotta say that I don't think Luke ever asked me to cal him "princess" . . . . :)

Rynell said...

My mom repeated #3 to me A LOT. You can bet that it is committed to my memory.