Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Camp Leaky-Leaky

Monday as we were eating Family Night treats I was enlightened as to some of the recent adventures that have been going on in our backyard. I'm not sure how it all came up, and I'm not sure it's been a blessing to know. Regardless, I want to write this one down for posterity. Someday it will be really funny to us all--I'm sure.

Apparently, some of the neighborhood friends have taken a liking to urinating in our backyard. They have even designated a special spot which they affectionately call "Camp Leaky-Leaky". One of the friends even laughed as he told Olivia that he had "missed the grass a few times and hit the house." What? After asking several times if my boys had been involved and them denying involvement several times I asked if there was anything else I should know. Bad choice. Warren said that one of his friends had peed ON THE TRAMP (ewww) and another had peed in our birdbath. It was a good thing that friends had gone home for the day. This way my kids were able to hear my ranting and the guilty parties were spared the heated speech about keeping certain body parts zipped up while outside. I understand that boys will be boys, and that it must be fun to pee outside (I don't have the equipment to do so I don't know from experience--maybe I'm just jealous). I also know that it may be difficult for boys to understand why it's o.k. to relieve themselves outside when they're camping and not o.k. to do so when they're not. However, my yard is not a toilet and I have not one, not two, but three bathrooms-all containing toilets-and all less than 30 seconds away from the out of doors.

As I fell asleep that night I thought about other things of concern that have been happening. Name calling, leaving bikes, scooters, shoes, and toys haphazardly strewn about our front and back yards, riding bikes through the landscaping, throwing dirt, etc. I have tried to address these issues on a case by case basis, but it doesn't seem to be helping. Don't get me wrong. I do enjoy having friends over. It is nice to know where my kids are, and I thought I was doing a good job of checking on them periodically. Not so much. I also thought about the fact that summer is right around the corner which will bring with it popsicle sticks and otter pop wrappers, towels for playing in the sprinklers, more kids than usual...and a new baby. I knew I had to take drastic measures and pull the reigns tight before it gets really out of hand. While the kids were at school yesterday I typed up a contract. It has 6 rules for respecting property (the first being the no urinating rule) and 4 rules for respecting others (which includes appropriate language, no name calling, including everyone, etc.). My kids were the first to sign. I told them that I expected them to abide by these rules wherever they went, not only at our house. As friends came to play I invited them in, sat down with them and rationally (I got the ranting out of my system the night before) explained each rule in detail. I also explained the consequences of not following the rules. Then I had them sign and date the contract. Olivia thinks the contract signing is silly and embarrassing. I told her she didn't have to sign, but that would mean she couldn't play in her own yard. She signed.

We'll see how it goes. I think I may have given Warren a complex. Last night he came downstairs from his bed and in a shaky, almost crying voice told me that he had "heard a police" and wondered if they had come to take his friend away for saying a bad word. It took me a while to convince him that the only people that could enforce the signed contracts were Darin and I (and only in our yard) and that his friend was sleeping safe and sound in his bed.

The signing of contracts may be silly, but I feel a whole lot better knowing that the kids are fully aware of what's expected (and seeing their faces when they were signing was actually a bit comical). The next step is to kindly enforce the rules, which in all actuality will be more work for me, but it will give me piece of mind that Camp Leaky-Leaky will be a thing of the past.

12 comments:

Marie said...

Wow, good job! Let us know if it works.

Pike's Place said...

Way to go, Deanne! I think that was a great idea.

Katie said...

I love that you had your kids and their friends sign your contract. I remember my mom doing that for us when we were younger (it was the time my brother was getting unruly). It was an everything contract though, not just the yard. It had what chores we were in charge of, when we were expected home at night, what grades we were expected to get and all the rewards and consequences of the rules. I remember how funny I thought it was at first, but for me and my younger siblings, it worked. Great idea though! I hope it works and they live by their contract. :)

Cindy B said...

What a mess! I hope the contract works. And you can borrow my Lysol if you want.

Melanie said...

I LOVE the contract idea! Alec loves to urinate outside too. Jeremy thinks it's cute, that he's a boy....yada yada. I think it's a very bad habit for him to get into and that he needs to know and follow public decency rules. Good luck with the contract enforcement!

Unknown said...

I laughed as I read that. I have no experience in that department at all...haha. I hope your contract works out well and good that the friends signed.

Jodi said...

Ha! Oh camp leaky leaky, I would be ticked too. Way to take a proactive approach to solving the problem. I probably would have obsessively watched outside and yelled at every person peeing on my house. You are a better person than I!

Kayla said...

Great idea to come up with a contract. I think I would have grossed out, and there may have been some yelling. Good thing I'm not a mom yet... I hope it works out and they all obey the contract. I never understand the peeing outside thing... :P

Brooke said...

That's funny, I just had to have the "Camp Leaky-Leaky" discussion with my children as well! It doesn't help when Grandpa says it is ok to do it on the farm! WE DON"T LIVE ON THE FARM, YET!!!

Maleen said...

Yeah, that is a bit gross. I am happy to say that I don't think my kids have ever peed on your house, or in your yard, but then again, they don't have the right plumbing and maybe you just haven't told me :)
I think the contract is a great idea and I hope they catch on quickly so you don't have to do a lot of enforcing.

denise @ little ant design said...

Way to go!

Unknown said...

I may have to attempt something like that at my house for various and sundry rules that always seem to be disregarded. Good luck!