Thursday, May 21, 2009

A laundry adventure

I was washing sheets. One of David's "new shoes" (which weren't new at all, they were just called his "new shoes" and were his favorite) was missing. We looked everywhere. We knew it couldn't be far. He had just worn them as a pair, and suddenly there was only one. Then, as I was pulling my sheets out of the dryer, I found the missing shoe! I gave it to David and he excitedly put it on. That's when we realized there was a problem. See for yourself:


He tried and tried to squeeze his little heel into the beloved shoe. I'm sure he can really relate to Drizella and Anastasia. He REALLY wanted it to fit, but he finally gave up. I thought for a small moment about washing and drying the other shoe so we could pass them on to someone else as a pair, but then I decided that if I did it on purpose, I would probably cause an electrical fire. I have no idea how the shoe began its journey. It certainly wasn't on my bed when I took the sheets off. I am learning to ask fewer questions about "how in the world" things happen. It has helped my sanity to just deal with things as they come instead of obsessing about how they came about.

5 comments:

Maleen said...

So sad for poor David. I know how attached kids get to shoes. I am surprised it shrunk. I guess I will remember not to wash 'croc-ish' shoes.

Carrie said...

I can't believe that! They shrink, I always thought they were indestructable! I know Xander thinks they are.

Unknown said...

That is the funniest thing ever! BT was rolling when he read it.

Christy said...

I would never have guessed that they shrink!!! Good to know, I guess!

Laura said...

It is good to learn to go with the flow. Especially where kids are concerned. There's often no rhyme or reason as to why things end up in places you never would have thought of or why things happen the way they do, they just do. At least the ride is NOT boring.