Thursday, May 7, 2009

32

That's the number I will now put on any form that requires me to list my age...which is strange because I don't "feel" 32. The more birthdays I have the more I realize I probably won't ever feel different. I just feel like me...with one more year's worth of experience.
I had a great birthday! I got the kids off to school and had a normal-ish morning. At lunch time I had the privilege of dining with not one, but TWO handsome dates--Warren and David. After dropping Warren off for Kindergarten I headed to my massage, which was delightful as usual.
When I got home I found a sweet note from Darin and balloons on the floor, each with a different letter spelling out "Happy B-Day Deanne". The kids had fun finding out what the message was.
At this point I was feeling quite queasy from lunch. The good news is that burger and fries joints are on the list of places not to go for a (long) while. I rested on the couch and drank water to try to make the feeling go away. It didn't. Darin came home from work and asked if I was ready to go on a birthday adventure with the family. I wasn't. I felt bad because he had planned a fun evening, but I really didn't have it in me. The kids had fun playing with friends and I enjoyed the rest on the couch. When the queasy feeling had subsided enough we all enjoyed a yummy fajita dinner prepared by Darin. Then it was time to celebrate!
We had cupcakes and ice cream and opened presents.


Someone is noticeably absent from the pictures. David is in the stage where his naps/quiet time happen about 50% of the time. He came in from playing and I asked him if he wanted to have dinner and cupcakes and sing "Happy Birthday" (he sings it all the time--mostly to himself). He said 'yes', then while I was holding him on my lap I felt his head flop down. He was quickly on his way out. I asked again if he wanted to eat and sing. He replied, "I'm too tired." He spent the birthday celebration on the couch like this (you can tell he had been playing hard by the sweaty messed-up hair!):

The kids got me new yummy smelling shampoo, conditioner, bubble bath, and hair products (some of my favorite things). Darin surprised me with an awesome camera. I was so excited!!! I have been wanting to take a photography class for a long time. I caught the bug several years ago and wanted to improve my photography skills. We got a nice 35 mm camera, and my confidence diminished quickly when I had a few disappointing practice sessions. I double exposed one set (that made me REALLY sad), and the lighting was all wrong on another. I put my photography desire (and the nice camera) on the shelf. I obviously continued to take pictures, but it was mostly just for documenting purposes. Darin knows me well enough to know that deep down I still want to try to make photography a talent. Not that I want to make a career of it, I just want to be happy with the images I take. The camera he got came with two instructional DVDs, two lenses, and a lot of things that intimidate me. I will have to take baby steps to become well acquainted with this new toy! (These photos were taken with our old camera. The new one wasn't set up yet)
p.s. The crepe paper flower I'm wearing was a gift from Warren. He made it at school for Cinco de Mayo the day before.

We snagged a quick photo of David with the kids before taking him up to bed. He looks thrilled to be there, I know!
Thanks to everyone for making my birthday great! I felt very loved.

11 comments:

Becky said...

Happy (belated) Birthday! You look fantastic! I wish that I had looked that good at 8 months pregnant. I'm very jealous.

Marie said...

Happy Birthday! (I didn't write it on your Facebook page because I felt like I would be lost in the crowd...selfish, I know.)

What kind of camera did you get? I've been trying to find a good photography class to take for my secret photography desires too!

Little Miracle said...

I'm so sorry I forgot to call you yesterday. I'm glad you had such a good birthday!

Natalie said...

YAY! HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEANNE!!! You look amazing at 32! I think 30 was the hard birthday to get through. Anything after that is cake - right?.

Kelly said...

Hey Dean! How does 32 feel now that you've had it on for a few days? You look awesome! When are you due again? Love you!

Jodi said...

Glad you had a happy day! We'll have to get together for our traditional "birthday lunch" - I'll get it set up!!

Carrie said...

Happy belated Birthday !!!! I looks like it was a great day. Your family is so cute and sweet to you. We love you!

Cindy B said...

Happy birthday! I'm glad it was a good day and I hope you're feeling better.

Christy said...

Happy belated birthday!!

Laura said...

I feel dumb. I completely forgot to say Happy Birthday. sorry. Glad you had an awesome birthday.

Jodi said...

Happy b-day! You look great! Sorry you weren't feeling better for the festivities. It still looked like your fam made it great for you though.