Sunday, September 30, 2007

Liv

Here are some of the recent adventures of my Liv:
This is her personal flag. Her class has been learning about different country's flags and what they represent. They were also assigned to make their own flag. The colors on her flag are her favorite (with pink in the middle as her very favorite). Mint chocolate chip is her favorite flavor of ice cream, the DANCE represents her love of clogging, the bone and paw represent her love of animals (dogs especially), the heart represents all the people she loves, and the seahorse is her favorite sea animal (I didn't know she had a favorite sea animal).

Here she is with her hot dog and fries cake for the school carnival's cake walk:

Here she is sporting the latest hole in her mouth:

This tooth was stubborn. She asked me to pull it out for her, and it seemed like it was loose enough. I tried to wrap floss around it, but it kept slipping off. I tried to pull it out with the aid of toilet paper, but it stayed put. I told her we should wait it out, but she said it felt weird, and she wanted it out. So, knowing she wouldn't rest peacefully until it was out, I tried the floss trick one more time, and VOILA! It didn't quite pop out, rather, it rested in her mouth and she spit it out. (Sorry for anyone who has an aversion to teeth pulling. It gives Darin the heebie-jeebies.) I have to include the note she wrote to the tooth fairy:
Dear Tooth Fairy,
I know you don't have a lot of money, but could I have 3 dollars or at most five?
Answer here _____________________
Love, Olivia
(I don't even have a penny.) p.s. leave me my tooth and note and bag please. (You can leave it under the pillow.)
When she woke up the next morning I asked her what the tooth fairy said. She replied, "He said 'I regretfully decline' and gave me ONE dollar." (How observant of her to realize that the tooth fairy must have been a "he". In his defense, giving $3 or $5 now would only cause inflation to go up faster in our house). I think she has recovered, and I told her that I'm sure the only reason he (the tooth fairy) only gave her one dollar is because he knew that her loving parents would always provide extra chores for her to earn extra money.
I love my sweet girl. I know that I am much too hard on her most of the time, and it's good to take a step back and realize what a blessing it is to have her in my life. She cracks me up! I think frequently about the time she had me, Jodi, Rylee, and Kamryn crying because we were laughing so hard. It was one of those "you had to be there" moments, but my child (who was 7 at the time) was relaying the story of Dee-Wayne, who showed up at one of Olivia's friend's dad's cousin's wedding (phew!) drunk and holding a garbage sack with a snake in it. The highlight of the story is when she says, in a drunk southern accent, "Dee-Wayne, you get dem snakes outta here right now." (Ok, I know I just said you had to be there, and then went ahead describing it anyway, but it's something I haven't yet written down for posterity, and I want to remember it.)

13 comments:

Jodi said...

I love the ode to Olivia! She is such a great girl! I was dying when I was reading about her account of the drunk guy at the wedding! Hilarious!

Maleen said...

That's awesome Liv. I don't think I can even do a drunk southern accent. I like the personal flag. The seahorse is a definite favorite of mine.
Sorry about the deleted comment, I managed to totally misspell Liv. Doesn't sound easy, but I did.

jennie said...

I LOVE THE TOOTH FAIRY LETTER!!! How sweet (and smart) is she!

Wright Family said...

Are kids are so fun. I know for me sometimes I expect them to be more grown up than they should be. Thanks for sharing about Liv.

Wright Family said...

She is very smart and creative.

Ker said...

What a cool tribute! Thanks for sharing Dean. Reminds me that I too am sometimes really hard on my kids as well. Their smiles tell it all huh. She is an awesome girly and I love having her in activity days.

Jenny Dahl said...

I'm loving her request for any amount between 3 and 5. Also loving your response to the tooth fairy and sticking with 1. That inflation will get you every time. No telling what the going rate will be by the time all the teeth have been lost!

denise @ little ant design said...

The cake is amazing - did you make that? Unbelievable!

I loved the tooth fairy note. I need to be better about writing down things like that. What a great memory - one to talk about when she is older.

So, you met my little sis. Did you read my post about her working at the library or did you guys just figure it out?

buhlersdayoff said...

I am totally impressed, I am a little afraid to ask the tooth fairy for more money now!! She is adorable! Great job on the cake and flag!!

Anonymous said...

awww, very cute!!! she is really beautiful!!! totally LOL at her note

Jodi said...

Okay...I am crying because I am laughing so hard! I totally loved the "Dee-Wayne" night. What a night!

megan said...

What a cute story and what a cute gal! Deanne you need to write a book on cake decoration. You are so clever down to every detail with catsup on the fries. You take orders?

Karla said...

Deanne, she looks JUST LIKE YOU!!! What a doll! I love her letter to the tooth fairy. Way cute! You better put that in her baby book or somewhere else so it will never get lost. :)