Monday, September 10, 2007

Good Intentions

As I was wandering up and down the booths of Swiss Days a week or so ago, I saw a vinyl sign that I loved. It said, "The smallest act of kindness is better than the greatest intention." This, of course, caught my eye because I am the QUEEN of good intentions. Over a year ago Darin and I had 5 nephews serving missions (one in Fiji, one in Brazil, one in Switzerland, one in Montana, and one in Japan). We had the great idea to send each of these nephews a care package. We filled the care packages, addressed them, and put them in our front hall closet...and there they sat. We have delivered two of them (in PERSON when they returned HOME). The other three packages are less full than they once were. The kids (and I) have eaten the candy out of them, Darin took the dress socks out of one when he got a new suit and needed matching socks, and I'm pretty sure the gum has been added to gifts for the kids' friends. I believe that our once decent packages have been reduced to a letter and a small package of Pop Rocks. I still have two nephews who have not yet returned, and one who has since left, so there is still hope that I can fulfill my good intentions. (If you are doing the math, I said there were three packages left. We have not yet delivered John's care package to him, even though he returned 3 months ago.) I share this story with you not to get down on myself, but to give us all a little chuckle (it's healthy to laugh at yourself, right?), and to give myself some accountability. My goal is that this great intention will turn into a small act of kindness by no later than FRIDAY (of this week). I will post about my success when the task is complete, and I encourage all of my faithful readers (all 10 of you) to find a great intention that you have, and turn it into a small act of kindness. Wish me luck!!!


Here is a picture of the remaining packages and their contents (or lack therof):
#1: Letter, pop rocks, and gum
#2: Empty
#3: Letter & pop rocks

7 comments:

shawna said...

lets get together some time and fill a month with good intentions turned small acts of kindness. You are HILLARIOUS! I love it. We must be in the same family. . .I do the same same thing all the time. I will have to remember that quote. Maybe tattoo it to my forhead so I can see each day and so others can remind me!

denise @ little ant design said...

This is me to a T. I always have great ideas and good intentions but quickly get bogged down by life. Each little step counts so good for you making a goal to get it done. You can be sure that I will be checking back on Friday to see what happened.

If it were me, my post would read..."didn't happen this week - check back next friday" and that would go one for about a month or so and at that point I'd be hoping everyone forgot about my original goal.

Maleen said...

Amen to all of that. I always think that kindness has to be big or showy to count but the small things are just as important. Here's to good intentions all over the world and the pathway to "you know where" which is paved with them.

Jodi said...

My good intention was to volunteer at the elementary school. As of yet, I have not been over, but after reading your post, I talked to the librarian and I am going over tomorrow at 11:00 to help get the new books entered into the computer. So thanks for the push in the right direction!

Tiffany said...

Love it. . .seriously. You are my kind of woman!

Kellie said...

I enjoy your thinking... I am going to try harder to act on those promptings that I should call someone or say the postive thing I was thinking...Just try and reach out when I'm prompted instead of I'm too busy, or I can't call her now I'm in the shower! lol...

Denise Dahl said...

Deanne, so love to read your blogs! I am a BIG Procrastinator,full of good intentions myself...its is nice to belong to a family withthe same characteristics...there is comfort in nymbers.
I do so enjoy your blogs and try to take something from them, as well as from others in the family..my INTENTION is to better myself from them..Results..?So much for my good intentions! I can't even get stuff mailed off to Josh on his mission. I think last year his Christmas package must have arrived sometime in the middle of Jan! Keep up the good work..I love to hear/read about all the family and their happenings. Denise Dahl