Tuesday, July 29, 2008

The Wicked Witch


Around here there is always a favorite movie--one that gets played (sometimes mulitple times) daily. For a while David's favorite was Enchanted. Then it went to Hoodwinked, High School Musical, and now we have landed on The Wizard of Oz. I have always loved this movie, and it hasn't been until recently (when it has been playing daily) that I have stopped to analyze a key part to the story...the demise of the Wicked Witch of the West. Does she know that water will kill her? If so, why in the world would she have a bucket of the "poison" so readily available? If she doesn't know, has she really never been in the rain or taken a bath? It seems like it would be pretty hard to avoid water her whole life. Secondly, if all of her workers are so glad to have her destroyed, why haven't they done it (destroyed her) themselves? Surely the whole army could gang up on her and get rid of her in a jiffy.
Ok, so I almost deleted this post as my mind finally made it to an answer that made sense (if you think about something long enough an answer will come). Then I realized that it might make someone feel better that they were not the only ones who thought about sensless things (or if you're looking for a reason to laugh at me, here's a good start). So, here's what my brain came up with. This part of the movie is a dream. It was a perfectly innocent mistake with a perfectly glorious result. It would not have been in Dorothy's nature to kill the witch with violent force, but it was very much in her nature to help a burning friend. The fact that there was water within arms' reach and the fact that the water ended up killing the witch, therefore furthering Dorothy's cause, just comes down to the convenience of a dream. I would continue with my explanations, but suffice it to say, it was a dream. Some of my dreams don't make sense either.
And yes. I have more important things to do. Many, many more important things.

14 comments:

Stacy said...

The Wizard of Oz cannot be analyzed in anything but the metaphorical backdrop of a dream. If one really sat down and thought of the liklihood of a house blowing through the middle of a tornado and landing perfectly intact in a far away land (inhabitants unharmed, outside persons under the house...not so lucky) it would seem just as unlikely as a person who spent their whole life avoiding water...right?
But it is still one of my favorite movies...and I can do a pretty good impression of the Wicked Witch laugh :)

Deanne said...

Good point, Stacy. I was just so stuck on the whole water thing that I didn't even think about the many many unlikely events that take place in said movie. And I need to hear your impression.

shawna said...

oh you make me laugh! love it.

Maleen said...

I did chuckle a little as I read this. My dreams never make sense either, and then Tyler reminds me that they all come out of my mind (not very reassuring).
I tend to over-analyze the movies that get played over and over. Don't get me started on Disney's Aladdin. That movie is full of holes.

Carrie said...

I had never thought about it before, but I think you are right. Dorothy would not have killed her, I mean really she invited a lion,tin man and scarecrow to go with her to see the wizard. Who does that! hehe I miss hearing about your dreams, I remember them being so interesting. Have you ever gotten a book about analysis of dreams?

Kelly said...

Thanks for giving us all something to sit and ponder, Dean! I haven't seen The Wizard of Oz in years! We're currently "stuck" on Thomas and the Magic Railroad at our house...now there's one that will get you thinking!

Emilie said...

I really love your blog because you post random things that I can't help but laugh at. Thanks for making my day!

Beth said...

Its been a while since I have gotten to your blog and I just have to tell you how much I love it! Every single post makes me smile! From the thog one to the classic high school dance picture. I am just can't get enough!!!! We love you guys!!! Are you guys up for ward temple night???

Christy said...

Try watching "Wizard of Oz" synched up with Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon--that'll give you even more to think about!! (One of the stupid things we used to do in college...)

http://www.everwonder.com/david/wizardofoz/

Deanne said...

I no longer feel bad about the few afternoons I've spent wondering about a few details of The Wizard of Oz. If you copy and paste the website from Christy's comment you will find that possibly years have been dedicated to wondering about details of this movie. This particular website is about the parallel between The Wizard of Oz and Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon. Wow!

buhlersdayoff said...

Can i tell you that the wizard of oz gave me nightmares as a kid?!!

Sarah said...

The Wizard of Oz is actually a book written as a children's fairy tale that was fairly political and I think had something to do with a drought? Maybe the water was in the book and had some sort of significance. Or maybe it was just an acid trip made into a movie. Wouldn't be the first time.

Doug and Becca said...

Ha,ha. Never thought about that before....interesting thoughts. Isn't it funny what you think about when you really think.hmm

Adrianne Miller said...

My husband was just telling me about the play, Wicked. Apparently it's all about the story of the Wicked Witch and it even goes into the part about the water and melting her. We are going to see it when it comes here in April. Maybe you should go and that might explain more!