Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Glorious Words

Today I heard the glorious words, "You have been approved with an effective date of June 1st." Those may not be glorious words to you, but that phrase made my day! Back in January the company Darin worked for decided not to be a company anymore, and we found ourselves out of a job. Fortunately the joblessness only lasted for two weeks, but it was long enough for us to lose our health insurance. Since the new company he works for is still quite small, they don't have group insurance and we had to apply for an individual plan. Darin and the kids were approved, but I was denied. The reason? I'm UNINSURABLE. (I felt like I had it stamped on my forehead.) I can't say that I blame the insurance company. When they see "Rhematoid Arthritis" they see a future of joint replacements and expensive medications. When I was first diagnosed (5 years ago), I tried all the medications and I felt worse so I have been using diet and supplements to control it. I know that I can't guarantee that it will always be this way, but it was still frustrating that I don't really use insurance for my "disease" and they won't take me because I'm damaged goods. We tried another insurance company and they would accept me, but my portion of the premium would go up 75% per month, and I would have to change all my doctors. No thanks. We got a letter from a different company that specializes in insurance for the misfit toys, and we began the application process. Wow. That was a fun three months! So, after much mailing back and forth of the application (I don't know why they couldn't use a fax machine), and many phone calls I'm approved! I don't even know why I should be excited. All it does for me at this point is gives me the green light to brake a limb or contract a serious disease. I guess more than anything, I have piece of mind--although I will miss the money we haven't been spending on health care!

6 comments:

Rynell said...

These are glorious words indeed. I too have been labeled as "uninsurable." (Due to pregnancy issues.)

Thankfully, I am still on a group plan and they have to take me.

Stacy said...

Welcome to the world of individual plans...not that exciting and WAY expensive. Especially to have a baby. $5,000 deductible per child can make anyone turn to birth control :)

Jodi said...

Congrats - go break a leg!

AnneMarie said...

Congrats! John is uninsurable too (for acid reflux & high cholesterol?!)so I know what a headache this is. Now you can do all those extreme sports you've always wanted to try!:)

Emilie said...

Happy day for you! It is always better to be safe than sorry, insurance is a great thing. I wonder how many times we have met our out of pocket deductable...too many times.

Kellie said...

Yeah I am so glad! HAppy days for you ahead :D