Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Let's start at the very beginning...

a very good place to start. It's hard to believe that our vacation is over, Christmas has passed and a new year has begun. I am feeling overwhelmed as I look through all my pictures, so I thought I should probably get started! First up is our Night in Bethlehem ward party. It started with a decree that was delivered door to door.

The decree told us when and where to come to pay our taxes (canned food). We were told to come dressed in Bethlehem attire.
The day of the party (which was also supposed to be the day before we were going to leave to California) my sister graciously offered to take all of our kids so we could get some stuff done. (Thanks, Renae!!!) We made wise use of our time wrapping presents, doing laundry, wrapping and delivering caramels to our neighbors, and listening to Christmas music. What would have been a hectic day with the kids around ended up being a several hour date with my hubby! Renae called after their movie was over (they went to see Alvin and the Chipmunks) and said they were going to my brother's house where they were going to decorate sugar cookies! (Thanks, Laura!) My kids had a fun-filled day with their aunts and cousins instead of a stressful day at home with two trying-to-get-things-done parents. The kids arrived back home just in time to head out to the party. Here are some of their cookie creations (even though we had all day at home, our kitchen still somehow managed to look like a bomb went off).



Here we are ready to take the journey to pay our taxes:When we arrived we had an opening prayer, then we all received money to buy our food:
We went to the market where we bought food for our families. I forgot to bring a blanket to sit on, so my shawl became our tablecloth.

As dinner was ending, we had a very simple yet touching program. Each family was given a song book with the words to all the Christmas hymns. The Bishop read from Luke 2, and as he did, the couple that was portraying Mary and Joseph began to walk through the crowd. (She was great with child with the aid of a pillow). We watched the Nativity scene play out before us as we sang hymns. It was a beautiful reminder of the reason for the season. I was amazed at all the work that went in to this awesome night!
After the party, we had a few short errands to run. As Darin was waiting for me in the parking lot, the temperature gauge went all the way to HOT. We were supposed to leave for California right after church the next day, but decided we should talk to Jared (a mechanic in our neighborhood) before we left. When we explained what was happening with our car he told us that we would be wise to wait and have the car looked at. Fortunately Jared was able to fit us in first thing Monday morning (he even picked up our car, and delivered it back to us!!!). The problem was identified, and it didn't cost a fortune to fix it! We felt so grateful that we found out what was wrong before we left! It also gave me one more day to get my house in order so we could come home to a clean house.

6 comments:

Jodi said...

Looks like a great ward Christmas party - great costumes. And after reading your post, maybe I belong to the wrong family! No one called to see if WE wanted to go see Alvin & the chimpmunks or decorate cookies. Feeling a bit unloved!

Maleen said...

Yeah, I hear ya. None of my siblings call to ask if they can watch my kids. Of course, they all live in another state, but they could still ask...sheesh.
I'm glad you got your car fixed. I could regale you with stories about car problems on trips (some funnier than others). I'm just glad you didn't have any this time.

Deanne said...

Let me explain. Renae had a few free movie tickets. She offered to take my kids since her kids were occupied that morning and Darin had just spent quite a bit of time fixing Todd's DVD for the Robertson Christmas party. This was more a return of a favor than trying to make anyone feel unloved. Great, my hives are coming back.

Anonymous said...

We just had a ward Christmas party doing that very thing. I didnt attend that night, but Paul took the kids and made Myrhly whirlies ( cin. rolls) he didn't dress up though, I am sending him this link so he can see that real men do dress up too LOL! Good for Darrin!

Unknown said...

Deanne and Darin,

It was fun to catch up with you through your blog. Your kids are absolutely darling! Merry Christmas!

megan said...

What a great christmas party idea. You have been very busy. I hope that your christmas was wonderful. I know that you had a blast at DisneyLand. It was great to see you and hope to run into you the next time I hit Costco speaking of yeah I need to go.