Friday, January 25, 2008

Miracles

I have a friend who recently ran over her cat, forgot to buckle her son into his car seat, and neglected to let the tooth fairy know about a lost tooth-twice within a week (her daughter lost two teeth in one week). Since then, the cat has received a clean bill of health, the car seat has been secured in the car, and her daughter has been reimbursed from the tooth fairy. All was back to normal in her world, until her husband's boss informed him that his paycheck would be delayed until Wednesday. Wednesday came, and her husband got the news that instead of a paycheck, they were closing the doors to the company. Lovely. I don't know why she should be surprised. I mean, the e-mails she's been receiving lately clearly warn about the consequences of not forwarding them on to every person in your address book, and she carelessly deleted them. (From now on, her name will be added to the list as a bad example.)

In all seriousness, I just wanted to check in since I'm sure you're sick of reading about the return of our cat. For those of you who may not have caught on, I confess that I am the friend. Darin is handling everything like a champ. We are both surprisingly optimistic, and despite a few tears of uncertainty, things are better than I ever imagined they would be under the current circumstances. We feel at peace, and have felt so much love and support in the last couple of days. Thanks to the advice and ideas from family and friends, we feel like everything will fall into place in no time at all. I get to try my hand at substitute teaching, and am excited that there is an opportunity to have something that is so immediate without the hassle of interviewing or temp work. It is also something that I will love! (Thanks for the idea, Ker!) Darin has been on the computer or the phone constantly for the last two days, and has been getting his resume out there. I was reading the conference Ensign today, and found a talk by Robert D. Hales called Personal Revelation: The Teachings and Examples of the Prophets. There was a quote from him that was perfect for us. He said,

"By design, most miracles are spiritual demonstrations of God's power--tender mercies gently bestowed through impressions, ideas, feelings of assurance, solutions to problems, strength to meet challenges, and comfort to bear disappointments and sorrow."
We have felt all of those things, and feel like we have been the recipients of many miracles. We also feel like this will be a springboard to bigger and better things. I will try to post something light-hearted and fabulous in the near future! This blog is becoming a bummer! And just so you know, Darin said the only way I could post about him losing his job is if we don't become a charity case, so instead of leaving comments about the job, please leave us your best joke! Thanks for being the best friends and family a gal could ask for.

10 comments:

Jodi said...

It took a lot of thinking, but I think I remember my best joke. Here it goes...what do you call a fish with no eyes?
Answer: A fsh
Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha!

C Lysager said...

What did one snowman say to the other snowman?....Do you smell carrots.

Maleen said...

What did the Atlantic Ocean say to the Pacific Ocean?

Nothing. They just waved.

Wright Family said...

"Who am I?"

The little boy who had been playing in the back yard all morning came through the kitchen door and said to
his mother, "Who am I?"

His mother thought she was supposed to play some kind of guessing game and said, "Oh, I think you must be Tarzan."

"I guess Mrs. Wilson was right, he said. "She said I was so dirty that my own mother wouldn't recognize me."

Jenny Dahl said...

Sorry but I not the gal to come to for a good joke. I know one knock knock joke my kids taught me. Pathetic huh. So sorry for the bummer news. Your family will be in my prayers. Good luck!

Chelle! said...

What is one word a dog can say?

"Bark"!!

Why did the computer go the doctor?

Because it had a virus!!!

HA HA!!!

Jodi said...

What did the chewing gum say to the shoe?

I'm stuck on you!

Anonymous said...

I am glad you are surrounded by love and jokes. I love how grateful you are and positive you are. Wonderful example to all who read your stuff.

Hugs and love and may this pass quickly.

megan said...

my kids crack up with this one.

What did the snail say while riding the turtles back?
Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

shawna said...

ok. this is my all time favorite joke. it is slightly off color.

So a man walks into a psychiatrists office wearing nothing but saran-wrap. the psychiatrist says, "stop right there I can already see your nuts."