Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Reasons not to move to Idaho

Before I get any hate mail from any Idahoans, let me assure you that I have nothing against Idaho--at all. In fact, I have heard it's a great place to live; so that's why I feel like I have to work extra hard to talk my good friend, Steve, out of uprooting his family and leaving a gaping hole in our neighborhood. So, here's my post, dedicated to Steve.

1) If you leave, undoubtedly Keri will feel obligated to go with you, and that's just not fair (to me).
2) If Keri leaves, I will lose one of my workout buddies, and possibly fall off the bandwagon of exercise. Could you really live with that?
3) Despite the fact that there is a BYU in Idaho, true COUGAR fans don't live in Idaho, and let's face it. If you paint your face blue and yell, "GO Cougs!" people will just laugh at you.
4) Jacob 2:18 "But before ye seek for riches, seek ye for the kingdom of God." (in this case the kingdom of God=Orem, UT)
5) Do you really want Mikayla and Megan to wear potato sacks for dance costumes?
6) You will lose the best home teacher ever.
7) Spuds don't buy AFLAC
8) Dams break in Idaho
9) It's cold
10) They need Bishops in Idaho (specifically Bishops who are salesmen)
11) On average, rodents are 22% bigger in Idaho
12) In Idaho, your neighbors go deer hunting from their front porch.
13) There are more swear-mouth people in Idaho.
14) It would be really hard to get freshly baked cookies to you.
15) You would miss out on all the mosquitos.
16) Mason couldn't ride his bike to our house without serious injury (oh wait, that did happen once here, but what's a few stitches in the chin?)
17) On the night of the annual Scoresby Christmas party, we will all be sitting around crying instead of celebrating.
18) Potatoes at every meal, really?
19) It is a REALLY long commute to the dance studio.
20) I don't think they have cable in Idaho.
21) Ticket to Ride is illegal in Idaho.
22) If you move to Idaho, you'll need to get Utah plates on your van.
23) The communist party's headquarters is in Moscow, Idaho (I'm pretty sure).
24) We don't live there
25) I don't have a good feeling about it. I just don't.

Ok, so if you decide to disregard this post and move anyway, we will be very happy for you, and I will survive (but barely). After all, I was willing to call people to get their input, make up statistics, and bend the truth a little bit, and that proves that I feel like our friendship is worth a lot...even a drive to Idaho to visit. Just know that, all kidding aside, I will be very, very sad, along with lots of people.

If any of you would like to add to my list, feel free to comment!

9 comments:

denise @ little ant design said...

this post had me laughing so hard - too funny! having lived in idaho 2 different times i can say with authority that your friends should stay in utah with the people they love.

Maleen said...

Okay, I know for a fact that all those things are true. But you forgot that it snows on all major holidays and you must like the color brown. Nothing green grows there, except fungus in your toes from wearing warm socks. Oh, and people wear socks with there sandals (yikes!)Okay, just don't move, we love you here!

Evan said...

It also snows in June and July. Have witnessed first hand several times!

Steve said...

As a salesman, we commonly use the "Ben Franklin" close to help our prospects make decisions. I have been using this close on myself to determine if the move to Idaho is right for us. Dee, I had been sitting on the fence until I read you post. Now I am going to have to come up with quite a number of good reasons to tip the scale back for Idaho. Thank you for the input. Ker asked me again today if we were going to go. Everyone is already assuming we are going. For the record, I have only interviewed for the position, (got more information for the decision making process), no offer has been made. We only have to make a decision if an offer comes. Until then, we will be happy living in Utah for now.

Jenny Dahl said...

Well that does it for me, I won't go to Idaho. Hopefully you'll talk some sense into your neighbors as well. My goodness, losing you as a neighbor should be enough to keep them put!

Kristel said...

Hillarious post!! Thanks for sharing your creative and clever "downsides" of the potato state.

Anonymous said...

giggle giggle... and what is funnier is that Steve made a post :)

buhlersdayoff said...

I love the post. Mike has often times wanted to move to Idaho and I thought that maybe I should copy and paste your blog entry and send it to him though most of those reasons you put are reasons he wants to move to Idaho. SO maybe that wouldn't work for me--- Especially where you can hunt off of your front porch because they pretty much do that every time we go up there and all day long if allowed!! Good luck!!

Kellie said...

Okay have I completely fallen off the band wagon!?!!! What in the world has happened Keri is even thinking about moving!!! Man I forget to update my blog for a few months and the whole worlds gone crazy!!! I've decided you should be Brian Regan's personal comedian writer... I will try and get you an interview...