Thursday, January 26, 2012

I May Invest in a (very large) Paper Sack

My "compliments" from 5-year-olds just keep coming.  The day after I posted about my conversation with the little girl from David's class, David had a compliment of his own for me.  We were running errands.  David looked at me from his seat through the rear view mirror (that's not very close up).  Here's how that conversation went:

David: "Mom, you look just like Shanti."
Me: "Who's Shanti?"

David: "You know.  That girl from Jungle Book 2.  She has a big red dot on her forehead just like you!"


I, like most women, am ultra aware of my own blemishes.  I had not noticed a blemish. After David's comment I looked in the rear view mirror at my forehead.  I had to strain to see it (even close up), but sure enough, there was a very tiny light red (I would maybe call it pink) dot.  I was going to post a photo of my forehead to prove that I did not, in fact, have a giant red blemish smack in the middle of it, but I thought better of it.  I am confident that if I had posted a photo of my forehead, some 5-year-old somewhere would make a comment about the fact that I should maybe look into Botox. (As a side note, it was a good opportunity to talk about different cultures.)

Another observation from David:  This one was a couple of weeks ago.  We were reading books before bedtime.  We were snuggled under the blankets and he started asking questions about the baby.  I explained that my tummy would grow really big before the baby was ready to come out.  He lifted up the blanket, took one glance at my belly and said, "Hmm.  It's getting there."  (You ain't seen nothin' yet, kid!)

9 comments:

Maleen said...

Gotta love five year olds. My favorite is that for months AFTER having a baby my kids always tell me that it looks like I'm having another. (sigh) I know.

Jodi said...

Haha! This reminded me of when told me I looked like ursala the sea witch!

Jodi said...

*when Callie told me :)

Chelle! said...

Aw...this made me giggle. Little children are so truthful. :)

Beth Hulse said...

So awesome. I am still smiling! So something jane would do.

Beth Hulse said...

So awesome. I am still smiling! So something jane would do.

Unknown said...

That cracks me up. Kids are so brutally honest.

Laura said...

Forget 5 year olds. How about those 25 year olds. I got slammed by one 4 days ago as I walked up the stairs to my classroom carrying my heavy purse and several bags of stuff.

Me: minding my own business, walking up the stairs and thinking about all the things I had to do that day.

25 yr old (I'm guessing)dad of a student who attends my school: "You're getting too old to walk up those stairs."

Me: (thinking did I just hear what I thought I heard, then making a conscious decision not to be rude back) "Yup, it gets harder every day."

I walked in my classroom, looked at my coworkers with a stunned look on my face and wondered where the disconnect between common sense and tact was with some people. I don't expect 5 year olds to be able to filter what they think in their head and what comes out of their mouths, but wouldn't you think that was a skill that most 25 yr olds should have developed by now?

Pike's Place said...

LOL! Congrats on the pregnancy, btw!