Wednesday, August 19, 2009

A serious case of the giggles

Last week we met my friend Christa in Salt Lake. First stop was the Tracy Aviary.
There was a baby flamingo that had hatched just two days before we were there. The mom is sitting on the rock, and the dad is standing next to her. They took turns feeding the new baby. Every once in a while its little head would pop up to eat. It was very sweet! (The green water has something to do with the mating season, it's not contaminated.) This was the first picture I took, and as I took it I saw the red battery light flashing. Knowing that there were more adventures ahead, I didn't take too many pictures so we could conserve battery power.
We mapped out our day so we could do everything we wanted to do at the Aviary. While we were waiting to feed the birds a worker came and said, "You're not waiting to feed the birds are you?" (Um...nope. We 're just taking a little break here on the comfy cement in the blazing hot sun.) When we said that we were indeed waiting to feed the birds she informed us that they weren't doing the 12:30 feeding due to the tree trimming that was going on. We were bummed that we weren't able to do it. It looked like a lot of fun! We'll have to go back another day. We did get to see lots of birds, listen to a presentation about eggs, and watch a bird show.

Since I knew we would be in the area, I called the Sweet's Candy Factory to schedule a tour. After the Aviary, we headed to the park for lunch, then went to the candy factory.
As we were getting seated to start the tour, Brig filled his pants. I left to go change his diaper, and when I came back our whole group had their hair nets on. Christa motioned to my chair and held up my hair net. She then smiled as she held up another object--a teeny tiny itty bitty baby sized hair net. Liv was holding Brig at this point, and I held up the hair net to show her. She started laughing. I started laughing. We were trying to stay quiet because there was a video on. The laughing increased, the tears started coming, the convulsions began. This was just at the thought of a seven week old baby in a hairnet. Then came the reality of a seven week old baby in a hairnet, and it was all over. I felt like a thirteen year old girl trying not to laugh in church. My face was wet with tears. Liv may have lost control of the part of her body that keeps gas in, and a whole new wave of laughter began. I haven't laughed that hard in a really long time. I felt weak when we were finally able to pull it together, which fortunately was before the candy factory worker came back in. I wiped the tears off my face, placed Brig in the snugli, and started on our tour.
It was very cool to see how the candy is made. I felt like I was watching Mr. Rogers. (Do you remember the portion of his show when they would show how things were made? My very favorite were crayons and jeans.) Anyway, our tour guide was very nice. We were able to sample some of the candy, then shop at the store. We chose salt water taffy that was on sale. We headed home after an awesome day with friends. Thanks, Christa and kids! We had a blast!

And thank you, Sweet's Candy Factory, for requiring even the tiniest of your guests to wear hairnets. It provided me with more than just a sanitary candy tour...so much more.

6 comments:

Carrie said...

Seriously?! I love it! I am so jealous, Christa has always been better about getting together than myself. Love the pic of Brigg that is so hilarious! Thanks for sharing your fun day and your life. Love to you and your fab Fam!

Natalie said...

I totally get the hairnet thing. We went there a few weeks ago and died that even babies had to wear them. The worst was trying to get the 2 and 3 years old to wear them and keep them on. But I guess rules are rules and at least the candy was good, right?

Cindy B said...

It is even funnier with pictures!

denise @ little ant design said...

Too funny! I love the little hairnet.

There is nothing better then a really good fit of laughter - it always makes me feel like all is right in the world (if even just for a few minutes)

Unknown said...

Ashley had to wear one too but since she was already in her snugli, and I didn't really want to disturb her it mostly sat on top of her head and I didn't get a picture. I'm sad that I missed out on the hilarity though.

Rynell said...

Now THAT is funny!