Friday, August 14, 2009

Mom, Come and See!

You never know what you're going to get when you hear these words. This time the words came from Olivia. I could tell from her tone of voice that it probably wasn't something bad. It was more of a tone of excitement. I followed her outside to see this:When David saw me he yelled, "Hey Mom, I'm riding a two wheeler!" Sure enough.
He has a red bike with training wheels. We noticed last week that the training wheels didn't hit the road very often but we didn't think about taking the training wheels off--you know, because he's three. On this day, the neighbors put him on their "pickle bike" (as David calls it) and off he went.
No running behind a shaky bike until he was steadied. No pep talks. No scraped knees. I asked him how he felt about it, and this is the face he made:


He was ecstatic and spent the rest of the evening happily riding up and down the street (with bare feet--we're awesome).


I kept thinking,
There goes my three year old
on a two wheeler...
in a diaper.
I am still trying to figure out how to duplicate this experience with potty training so that one day I can write a blog post that goes something like this:
Fully potty trained. No pep talks. No bribing. No accidents.
Watch for that post (a girl can dream, can't she?).

6 comments:

Maleen said...

It is amazing how fast some of these kids pick it up. I thought about getting Ivory started but none of our bikes have training wheels right now, and I don't even know if her legs would reach (one of the disadvantages of being short).

Good job David. Potty training will come in time too. These things just happen when they need to, I guess.

Kelly said...

That's so great! Tyce has been begging to take his training wheels off...I'm just not quite ready for that! Yesterday, one of them actually broke off...I guess it's time! Missed you in Utah...it was a very busy time for us. Next time for sure! Love you!

Jodi said...

LOVE that face! He's such a ham! And I'm sure he will be potty trained someday! I don't know very many kids in elementary school wearing diapers! :)

Beth said...

love it

Cindy B said...

Way to go!

Jodi said...

Oh, this post just makes me laugh! I have read it about three times because it just makes me happy. You just make me happy Deanne. Thanks for your wonderful outlook on life.