Thursday, February 12, 2009

My toxic friend


Anyone who knows me well knows that I have a love/hate relationship with sugar. I love to eat it, and I hate what it does to me physically. Not only does it add unwanted mass, it also causes me fatigue and pain. That should be reason enough to stay away from the stuff, right? Wrong. I have gone without sugar many times for short spurts (my longest was 6 weeks), but I always cave and make it a part of my life again. I have also tried making rules for myself, such as eating a treat once a week. That hasn't worked well for me, either.
When I made it to the halfway mark of my pregnancy (last week) I decided that for the health of my baby, my mental wellness, and to give my booty a fighting chance at continuing to fit into my pants the rest of my pregnancy, that it was time once again to fine tune my eating. I felt so great after just a couple of days of eating more healthy choices, and then I remembered my ongoing battle with sugar, and decided I needed to change how I think about it. I think of sugar as the enemy, and so far that mentality has failed me time and time again. As I was washing my hands yesterday I had the thought, 'you should think of sugar as your friend'. Then a light bulb went off and I had an AHA moment. My thought continued...'but not as a good friend that you can spend lots of time with, more like a toxic friend that you can only handle in small doses because they don't bring out the best in you.' So, that's my newest attempt at keeping this sugar addiction under control. I have let go of the anxiety, and will not shame myself if I eat a treat. Rather, I will enjoy its company when I choose to spend time with it, and be ready to say goodbye after a brief visit.

11 comments:

Kelly said...

Who would have known that we have ANOTHER mutual friend! I know this one all too well! I love your AHA moment...thanks for sharing.

Becky said...

No sugar? I wouldn't have survived this pregnancy. Hang in there.

Jessie Nielsen said...

Good luck! Sounds like you have an excellent plan... oh and I need to hear about this dream of yours!

AnneMarie said...

Your'e a better woman than me Deanne! Good luck!

Kayla said...

You'll have to let me know how it goes. I might look into it someday...but I can't make any promises! =D

Anonymous said...

oh good luck! it is so hard, but it really is toxic ( as I sit here PMSing and eating a cookie LOL)

good luck!

will a dove promise curb your craving? diabetics are allowed two of those a day!

Kellie said...

I love it!!! You are wonderful :D I will volunteer to keep your toxic friend over here and when you feel the urge come and visit :D

Jodi said...

Ha! That is a good way of looking at it! Hopefully it helps your little addiction. (An addiction I believe we all have in some degree.) Already half way through the pregnancy! Way to go! I was thinking about it and you were probably pregnant when I saw you at Chuck E Cheese's. Did you know then? I know we discussed having more kids.... just thought about that the other day! (And I was thinking about how miserable I was when I was prego with the twins!)

Natalie said...

I've always admired people who could cut sugar out of their diet. I tried it once and lasted about a week (I allowed myself 5 cinnamon bears a day). All I can say is "you go girl"!

Stacy said...

Good luck with this, I have never been able to tame the sugar-craving beast. I am currently on round two of my crazy diet to lose the last 15 lbs and I would give ANYTHING for a cadbury egg right about now, you know? Enjoy one for me, k?

Unknown said...

Sugar has been my toxic friend since childhood. I like your perspective on it. I think I'll try to see it the same way and then maybe I can get rid of some of the "baby fat" I've been nurturing for the last 20 years.
Laura