Tuesday, February 10, 2009

The Dentist

Yesterday was the day.

On the dentist menu: Cleanings for the oldest three, sealants for Sean, and a dreaded cavity filling for Olivia.

As the kids came home from school Olivia announced that she had lost a tooth during reading time. She excitedly wondered, "What if that's the tooth that needed the filling?" (yeah right, I thought). "Maybe", I responded (doubtfully), and we headed out the door.

They were placed in their respective rooms, and I spent my time traveling the office between three exam rooms and the kid area (to check on David) to make sure all children were settled. As I was in Liv's room with her I joked with the hygienist, "Liv lost a tooth today, and she's hopeful it's the very one that needed the filling." She checked the computer and started laughing. Her reply? "You know what? It is!" Liv couldn't keep from smiling. (Neither could I). I couldn't believe her good fortune. The kids all got A's for brushing, and slightly less great marks for flossing. Sean is the unlucky one this time. There was a little bit of decay in between the teeth that will need to be taken care of. Because of that the sealants were postponed until next week when the cavity can be filled. We headed to the store to stock up on all the goods that will hopefully motivate us to take excellent care of our teeth.

I heart our dentist's office. It is less like a dreadful experience and more like visiting friends every time we go.

6 comments:

Katie said...

I absolutely HATE the dentist. How lucky thought that it was the tooth with the cavity that came out! That's awesome!

Anonymous said...

cool beans on that tooth falling out LOL

Jodi said...

Good for Liv - that's the power of positive thinking! :)

Carrie said...

Lucky!! She should get a prize for saving you money! Congrats!

Cindy B said...

Ellen and Sarah went to the dentist today too - no cavities, but they need to floss.

Jodi said...

Ooooh I hate fillings. Lucky girl. I brush and floss my teeth obsessively and I ALWAYS have cavities.