Thursday, September 11, 2008

A scare

Last night at about 8:45 we got a knock at the door asking if we had seen Eric. He is fairly new to our neighborhood and had been missing for about an hour. My heart sank as I put myself in the mother's shoes. I went outside to see ambulances, fire trucks, police cars, 4-wheelers, and neighbors knocking on doors and sharing information to see if anyone had ideas about where he could be. Fortunately the search was successful. He was found two neighborhoods away inside a friend's house; the result of some of the door knocking that took place. We were all very much relieved as we saw him walk home with his grandma, apparently unaware of the anxiety and heartache he had caused. (I'm sure he had a little talking to when he got home!) Not only did this teach me how great our neighbors are, but we also got a little chuckle at the end of the evening as we heard the kids talk about their feelings. As the search party passed Teague's house he (Teague) said to Eric, "You scared the lungs right out of me." and then as we got home Warren said, "That totally freaked my heart out!" We were all grateful for a happy ending and a few giggles that will last a while!

6 comments:

Chelle! said...

Oh, how scary. I am so glad all turned out okay.

Maleen said...

I'm glad he was found. Tyler called to let me in on the action and then called right back to say they found him. If it were my kid, my heart would be freaking out too.

Jodi said...

Eeeeek! That would have scared the lungs right out of me too!

AnneMarie said...

Don't ya just love those little ones?! So scarry. I'm glad he's ok.

Jenny Dahl said...

I have been slacking when it comes to reading blogs-a good sign my life is way to hectic! A little catching up for me today. Your kids looked darling heading off to school! Here we go for another year. What our little monkey's won't do for a snack. I should put ours up high and lock it. snacks around here might last longer than a few days. And the neighbor-ahh, my worst nightmare. So glad he was found and safe!

denise @ little ant design said...

I would so be freaking out - how scary for his mom. I am so glad that it all turned out ok