Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Cat Fight

I don't like drama. I avoid confrontation whenever possible. Still, sometimes a situation arises--out of your control and impossible to avoid. A couple of weeks ago I found myself right smack dab in the middle of what can only be described as a true "cat fight". Now that the wounds have healed (both physically and emotionally) I am finally ready to document it. Below are the images (evidence) of said event: (If you want all the juicy details, read on)


**This next picture is a close up to show texture:So, here's the story. My friend, Julie, went out of town and asked me to watch the house, collect a package, and take care of her (daughter's) cat Tasha. The first day Olivia and I went over to feed the cat she looked so lonely. She wasn't interested in her food at all, and just kept walking over to Olivia and purring. Lily (her owner) has been with her dad for about a month, so Tasha hasn't had much "kid" time. Olivia had compassion on her and asked if we could bring her to our house to play for a little while. I agreed, and Tasha had a great time. As we were getting ready to take her back home we discovered that David had kindly opened the door for Tasha. Tasha is ONLY an inside cat, and I was panicking about the possibility of her running away. Fortunately she was scared out of her wits of Shadow and was hiding behind the barbecue. (Shadow was sitting quietly like a good little kitty under the van--oblivious to the fact that he was causing Tasha major anxiety.) I was able to get her quite easily, and was trying to pet her and comfort her. I said, "Oh, it's o.k. Shadow's a nice kitty". I guess that was the wrong thing to say. If any of you have ever heard a cat fight, you know what comes next (minus a second cat. I guess my arm was a decent substitute for the other cat). The noise of cat fights from far away makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up. It is a much more intense sound when it's happening in your very own arms. I tried all the tricks I know to calm a cat down, the first of which was to hold her by the scruff of the neck. That did a whole lot of nothing. She clawed, bit, squirmed, growled, hissed, and made other sounds that can't be described--but they were scary. Olivia was screaming at me to just let her go, but I knew that if she was scared she may leave and be gone forever so I just held on with all my might, knowing that it wasn't a very long walk back to Julie's house. I tried my best to reassure her, and talk calmly (although the words "demon cat" may have slipped out) until we reached her house. It was then that I decided that she would be lonely for the duration of our cat-sitting duties. Fed but lonely. I came home to dress my wounds. The hydrogen peroxide made a fun bubbling display on my arm, and then I smeared neosporin all over it and tried to take a few deep breaths to recover from the drama. I then enjoyed my status as "hero" (Olivia was clearly impressed that I was able to hold on during such an intense fight). Oh, and did I mention this cat is de-clawed in the front? I think she can still hold her own.

15 comments:

Brooke said...

I am so sorry, that sounds and looks bad!! I would have been saying much more then "demon cat"!

megan said...

Oh my gosh I am so sorry. Don't turn into the cat woman. If you start licking milk out of the bowl that may be a sign. I was reading this in shock for you. I have seen a cat fight and they are nasty and to have your arms in the middle of that OUCH!!! I agree there are "demon cats" and "demon animals" We have a hamster like that. I call her the devil. Hope your battle wounds heal quickly.

Maleen said...

OUCH!! I am going to have to side with Stacy Kent on this one. She has been trying to tell us all along that cats are evil. I think "Demon Cat" is an understatement.
I am very impressed you held your own. I would have let go and explained to the owner that they were better off without that cat anyway.

Emilie said...

Holy cow! I cannot believe how bad that looks! I love cats myself, but their claws do look deadly. You lucked out, Taylen had to have stitches, yes stitches, from a cat that freeked out when she held it.

Jodi said...

Oh my gosh! I am glad that you made it out okay! I would have let that cat go in about two seconds. You are tougher than I am!

Stacy said...

Well Maleen hit it right on the head, she remembers my warnings. Cats are evil and only care about themselves. If you remember my Blacketta story you will remember that cats always come away the winner in a cat-human confrontation.
But, I must say, I'm impressed that you cared more about her running away then the shredding of your arms!

Beth said...

What the??? Seriously? You are a hero! I can't believe you held on.

Jodi said...

I can't believe you held on to the cat in the middle of all of that! You are a true animal lover...good for you!
Your arm looked way worse in real life. Glad it's healing up okay!

Jessica said...

That looks awful - it probably will take time to emotionally heal from - SCARY! Cat scratches hurt so bad too! Worse than others! Sorry!

CarrieLu and Madi too said...

You are a strong woman Deanne, I'm sorry but I would have dropped that cat on the ground, or worse. I'm sorry you got hurt.

Cindy B said...

Oh, Deanne, ow, ow ow! You have my sympathy. Nothing like a grumpy cat to shred your skin. You should get hazard pay for that!

Marie said...

I feel your pain. Both my cats are declawed and I have scars to prove that they can still defend themselves.

Watch out for cat-scratch fever!

Cherry said...

Hey Deanne,

It was nice seeing you the other night at Walmart. I thought I'd leave a note here because Jenny (from Madrigals) recently moved back to Utah and is trying to organize a get-together for all the local Madri-gals (pun intended). It will be dinner or dessert on possibly an upcoming Tuesday night--she's still looking for suggestions. Drop me a line, and I'll forward her emails.

calsclafani@gmail.com

buhlersdayoff said...

ouch!! you are a better person than me I don't think I would have been so nice to that cat after that. Those kind of scrapes are the worst!!

Melanie said...

You're amazing!! I'm not a cat fan and that cat would have gotten drop-kicked so fast if I had been in charge. Maybe that's why no one leaves me in charge of their animals. ;)