Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Birthday Boy

Before I jump into all the Halloween fun, I wanted to give a belated birthday shout out to my better half. I haven't done anything spectacular for the last few birthdays, so I thought this would be the year to make up for it. Last Monday (his actual birthday), we did a family party. We went to Krispy Kreme to have birthday donuts and open presents. Our neighbor, Lily, was able to participate in the festivities, too. I was impressed with the kids' ideas for his presents. Olivia got him football gloves, Sean bought him a game set that had a whole bunch of family games, Warren got him a NERF football, and David went practical and got him a new pair of jeans. My present to him was a new pair of glasses. This deserves a post of it's own, so more on that later. He was satisfied that his birthday was sufficiently celebrated, but there was more coming! I love surprises...especially when I'm in on them. My original intention was to have a surprise birthday party for him, but he doesn't really care about that kind of stuff, but I didn't have to think hard to know what he WOULD like. He still calls his friends on Friday nights to see if they can play Saturday morning flag football. I think it's cute, although I'm confident that's not why he does it. The turnout to Saturday morning football had been scarce the last few weeks, and I knew he would be itching to play again, so the Saturday before his birthday I delivered invitations to his buddies in the neighborhood for a game of flag football on Tuesday. Tuesday I wrapped his football clothes up in a gift bag, and delivered it to his desk, via his brother, Don. Under his clothes was a typed note that said:

CHURCH FIELD 5:30pm BE THERE!

I put a banner and birthday balloons on one of the benches (as if any of the guys noticed), and I was pleased that the perfect amount of guys showed up. Not too many, not too few. While they were playing, I went to get the food. I got chips and salsa from Chiles, sweet pork from The Smokehouse, and rolls. After the game, we all ate dinner together in the pavillion, then sang "Happy Birthday" and had cake. Darin loved it!!! I was so glad it was a successful surprise. The only problem is, I don't know how to top it. Maybe I don't have to. Maybe a game of flag football, not organized by him, would be o.k. with him every year.
Krispy Kreme:


Football festivities:
(Thanks, Tyler, for running over to the bench to get the banner and balloons)
And thanks, all the boys, for being torn away from your food long enough for me to take this picture...twice. When I tried to take it the first time, it said, "CANNOT RECORD". Apparently I hadn't put the memory card back in from the last use, so Chad (Dion) let us borrow his memory card.
The balloons escaped, and ended up on the ceiling of the pavillion.
Lily decorated the football cake:
And Olivia decorated the cupcakes:
I love how they are both wearing the football eyes in honor of Darin's special football day.
Happy Birthday, Darin!

7 comments:

Ker said...

Looks like fun was had by all- sorry we couldnt make it-that darn Vegas!

Maleen said...

Yes, thanks again. I think Tyler really likes playing with the guys, and he only has wonderful things to say about your husband. What a great catch Deanne! Thanks for letting the wifes dig in too, even though we didn't play.

Kelly said...

Happy Birthday Darin! He's one lucky guy to have such a fun wife and adorable kids. Looks like you had a great time.

Jodi said...

Looks like everyone had a good time. Maybe next year we can do a co-ed football game - flag football of course!

Jodi said...

Wow you guys went all out! That is great! Happy birthday Darin. :)

megan said...

What a fun Birthday. Good times were had by all. BTW Deanne you look soo good. What a great picture of you and the birthday guy

Jodi said...

I just looked at the pictures again and what is up with Warrens smile at Krispy Kream? Looks like it was a little bit forced!