Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Mama said there'd be days like this

Ok, so I realize this is two posts in a row that don't have pictures, but you'll be grateful for the lack of photos after you read this! Lest any of you think our lives are full of sunshine and roses, I need to share the fun morning I had. I was downstairs getting David out of his highchair and Liv came down and said, "Uh, Mom, did you see Warren's pull-up?" I said, "No, why?" and she said, "It's dee-sgusting". I asked where it was, she went up the stairs and came back down with one hand holding her nose, and the other hand holding a tiny corner of a poop-layden pull-up. I double bagged the pull-up, and took it to the outside trash. While I was outside, I heard Warren calling (screaming) for me. I started up the stairs, and about halfway up the stairs, the smell hit me. I looked in Warren's room to find him on the floor with poop smeared from his hips to his toes. When Olivia handed me the pull-up I didn't realize that if that much poop was on the pull up, then there must be some on him, too. I briefly looked around his room to try and figure out how poop got on so many things, then I realized it was probably better not to know, and proceeded with cleaning off my crying son. I put him in the tub, standing up, with running water and cleaned him off. I was helping him get dressed and asked, "Why did you poop in your pull-up, bud?" He said, "I just couldn't wake up." I felt bad for the kid. This is the first time this has ever happened. He only wears pull-ups to bed, and most of the time he's dry, so I'm not sure what happened. I sent Warren downstairs to watch cartoons. The next task at hand was to clean up the room. Not fun. I got my rubber gloves, filled a bucket with water, added a small scoop of laundry detergent to it, grabbed an old rag and went to work (it worked like a dream, by the way). I will spare you major details, but suffice it to say that I threw away a book, rinsed out and washed 5 articles of clothing (which is odd since he was only wearing 2 at the time), and spent a half hour scrubbing the floor. So, all that work, plus one load of laundry and a half a can of neutra-air, and we're good to go! Add this to a sad teething baby, and it's been a long couple of days. The longer I'm a mom, the more I realize that days like this are just part of the job description. They help me to appreciate the days that aren't filled with sad babies and poop. And to tell you the honest truth, I wouldn't trade it for the world. I love being a mom more than anything. It's what I've wanted to do since I remember, and now that I'm in the thick of it I have no regrets. It is the hardest, most rewarding thing I have ever done, and I can't think of anything I'd rather be doing...even on days like this.

7 comments:

Jodi said...

I am not glad that you had this experience, but I am glad that it happens to all of us. Sometimes you feel like it is only happening to you! This story brought back fresh memories of cleaning up throw up for nine straight days... You were also so right about the blog being a much needed "out". I had never thought of it that way. But, it is so true! That's why I am loving the blogging!

Ker said...

OH Deanne! I am so sorry! It dosent get easier--although they dont poop-there is lots of drama. But oh enjoy their youth. I too love being a mama-and am so grateful I have the chance. Those 10 years we waited were long-so pull up those gloves and keep a cleaning sista! I am right there with you.

Anonymous said...

Poor buddy! This story brought back to mind all of the times I have cleaned up poop and throw up...not very pleasant memories, but fun to look back and see how far we've come! And...I don't think mom EVER told me there'd be days like that!

buhlersdayoff said...

All I have to say is that you are one of those moms that we all wish and hope that we can be when we grow up!! You're pretty amazing!! Good job and we will keep our fingers crossed that it won't happen too often for any of us. My nephew used to use his dirty diapers as a weapon when he got into trouble. During his "time out" sessions he would smear it everywhere just to make my sister mad. Hopefully Brin won't be that brutal.

Kellie said...

K how do you get your awesome attitude about things and where can I get one?!!!! Wow! Sweet little buddy Warrin how is he today?

nae-nae said...

Dean,
I'm glad that happened when you were home and not while I was spending the day with your kids. Remember, we are only here to help our kids and teach them what they need to know so that when they are older they can deal with situations like this. Hang in there! Some days are much better--and unfortunately some are worse!!

Karla said...

Hey Deanne, it's Karla (Aidukaitis) Narducci. I found your blog from Jodi's which was linked to my sister Amy's blog...anyway...I wanted to tell you that found this story very funny! I actually had a poop story today. I went to check my baby's diaper and stuck my thumb in her poop. Yuck! But based on your story it looks like it will only get worse :( Keep up the great stories, I'll keep checking back to read more!