Saturday, June 23, 2012

Squeaky Clean

There is nothing like the scent of a freshly bathed baby.

What began as an offer from my mom when I had Olivia has turned into one of my favorite post-baby traditions.  My children have all had their first official baths courtesy of Grandma Dahl.  I love that I have first bath photos of each one of them in the same house (Grandma's house) with the same pair of loving hands wrapped around them.  It is one of the tender moments of new motherhood to see my mom with my babies.  It reminds me of how much I must have been loved as a baby. My appearance into my family was unexpected and very soon after the birth of my older brother.  I know my mom must have been overwhelmed to welcome me (baby #9) when her next oldest was only 14 months old.  I'm sure there were many hands helping her at that time, and I'm so grateful that hers are some of the hands that help me when I welcome my new little ones. Another favorite post-baby tradition is also thanks to my mom.  After I had one of my babies, (I don't remember which one) she asked what she could do for me.  I told her that I was craving her soft boiled raisin cookies.  I hadn't had them for a very long time, but they sounded so good (they tasted good, too!).  So now every time I have a baby there is a batch of soft boiled raisin cookies waiting for me.  It is both a blessing and a curse that my children don't much care for raisin cookies.  Blessing because I don't have to share them and a curse because I eat too many. 







If only these photos were scratch and sniff...

No comments: