Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Day of Rest?

Sundays can be a little hectic around here. Darin has meetings every Sunday morning starting at 7. I realize that with church at 11, this should still give me plenty of time to get myself and four kids ready, but we somehow manage to be in a frenzied hurry just about every week. I have learned a few tricks of the trade that have made Sunday mornings run a little more smoothly. This week I made sure to have all the kids' clothes ready for them, and made sure to turn on my "happy mom" voice before getting out of bed. It worked like a charm...for three out of the four of them. Sean was apparently less than thrilled with the clothes I had ready for him. He went upstairs to try and find something different. I knew he wouldn't find anything in his room. He is growing, and we haven't been shopping for new church clothes in a while so his options are limited, and his other clothes were dirty. I told him I was very sorry he didn't like what I had chosen for him, but that time was running out, and we were going to be leaving for church in 8 minutes--no matter what he was wearing. I had only heard of parents doing this, and wondered if I had it in me to really follow through. As time was up I called cheerfully to him that it was time to leave. The other kids went out to the van, and still no Sean. At this point I threatened to take away privileges if he wasn't downstairs by the time I got to 10 (another thing I do that I said I never would). Still no Sean. I knew that he valued the privileges I was threatening to take away, so I went upstairs to see what was going on, and I saw this:

I KNEW I didn't have it in me to take him to church naked, and he was really asleep, so I took the other kids to church, had a quick laugh with Darin and Brother Mecham and headed back home to retrieve Sean. As he woke up, I made a small change to his wardrobe (I took away the sweater vest), and he got dressed. He was still not wanting to go, and gave me every excuse he could think of: his arm hurt, his eye hurt, the kids in his class always sit by him and bug him, etc...and then we went anyway. I'm sorry to say my "happy mom" voice disappeared for a few brief seconds, and I walked into church with a child trying to recover from crying, and feeling like I had failed once again. He put the big church bag in between us so he didn't have to touch me, and gave me several looks that showed me he was less than pleased. I was forgiven after a little while when I played a game of hangman with him, and I hoped that I could someday make it so that we could be on time and happy. Keri had a similar Sunday, and came up with a great FHE object lesson that I stole. We made sundaes--a good sundae and a bad sundae. We put less than desirable toppings (mustard, ketchup, horseradish, a pickle, pepper, etc.) on the bad sundae, and talked about all the things that make a bad Sunday...including mom raising her voice, not cooperating, not having things ready, etc. Then we made a good sundae, and talked about what we could all do make our Sundays good. This sundae included strawberries, bananas, caramel, butterscotch, whipped cream, nuts, and brownies. I'm hoping it works (for them and me).

15 comments:

Maleen said...

What a cute idea. I also have the problem of a husband leaving many Sundays for meetings, but my girls are usually very cooperative. I have to be there early to set up nursery snacks and we have been on time regardless. I really like 11:00 church. However, they don't always look 'Sunday' best. We are still working on getting everyone's hair done and making sure they don't pick a dress that doesn't fit anymore. Robyn looked like she was wearing a baby doll dress before I changed her last Sunday.

Melanie said...

I love that idea! I don't think it matters what time church is at, we always have a rough time getting there with bells on.

We have 8:30 church now and it's a beast trying to get 5 kids ready. Bedhead is becoming the norm at church. So is sitting in the very back..... Oh well, at least we get there.

Katie said...

Well that Sundae did look horrible, I sure don't want my Sunday to be like that. Your FHE lesson worked for me. :) That is a great idea though. I like it.

Jenny Dahl said...

Oh, the joy of Sundays! Seems like no matter what time church starts making it on time is a chore. Especially to have smiles on everyone's face including mom's. Love your Sundae idea. I'll have to try that one!

Kellie said...

Wow!!! That looks awesome! Good for you for doing it! You are such a good mom and hope you know I am always looking up to you! You are amazing!

AnneMarie said...

I'm glad to see that Darin fixed your little computer problem and that you are back to your blog. Thanks for the well wishes for Beck, he has recovered (I'm not sure if I have yet!)
As far as Sunday's, my family is no different, I keep telling myself that I'm going to get their clothes ready the night before, but by Sat. night I am either so tired or we're gone. I do remember two occasions when I was about 9 or 10, once I went to church in my nightgown (humiliating) and once I went in a lovely dress with tennis shoes (of course I could not find my Sunday shoes). I was pretty good to be ready on time after that!

AnneMarie said...

By the way... that is the cutest little slacker I've seen!

Rynell said...

I'm going to have to steal that FHE lesson idea. (I'm always looking for good ones!) My kids sometimes have a good attitude, but rarely is it that all 3 of them have a good attitude about getting ready for church on the same Sunday.

Ker said...

So impressed that you took a photo of the sleeping, naked child. LOL-you are a true blogger. Glad the idea helped. Ours looked similar minus the pickle. We used asparagus! Hopefully our "sunday"s will be better this week!

Jodi said...

Great object lesson for FHE - when our church switches from 1:00 to 9:00 we will do that one. You'll have to let me know if it helps!

Adrianne Miller said...

Thats a really good lesson! Sean seems so much older to me after reading these posts about him. He's not little any more!

buhlersdayoff said...

I'm going to have to remember that FHE lesson for mike...j/k!! Your family is so adorable and always doing the funniest things!

Cindy B said...

I love that idea, and I'm totally going to steal it for next week. You would think that now that my kids are older, it wouldn't be such a chore. Instead, we have everyone trying to get into the bathroom at the same time and that slows us way down. I keep asking every Saturday night, "Does everyone have something to wear to church tomorrow?" And sure enough, at least one person always is shocked that Sunday comes after Saturday again this week, and that he or she has no clean church clothes. At least I can tell them to do their own laundry and they do it!

Unknown said...

I'll admit, I was most impressed with the fact that when you left your children at church to go get Sean chaos did not erupt from your bench. I don't think I'd be able to say the same of mine. (I am aware that if I went home to get one of my children I would only be leaving one, but still somehow chaos would erupt.)

Cindy B said...

Just thought I'd let you know that we tried this for FHE tonight. Our bad sundae had soy sauce, raspberry vinaigrette, and fry sauce. Strangely enough, I couldn't find anyone who wanted a taste! Hope they all get the point.