Monday, March 3, 2008

For Ker

Ker challenged her readers to write about a funny experience. And though the experience I'm about to share is laughter at my own expense, it's still pretty funny! Hope you enjoy!

When Olivia was almost three she was in my bedroom as I was getting out of the shower. She sat on my bed and watched me get dressed. She turned to me and said, "Mom, why is your bum all...(she paused and her eyebrows furrowed as her brain was searching for the perfect word)...scrambled?" I was laughing too hard to be offended.

This reminded me of another Olivia story from about the same era. Sean was a newborn, and I was cleaning his newborn belly button. She was most concerned about the growth that was where his belly button should be and asked, "What is that?" I told her that it was his belly button, and pretty soon part of it would fall off and it would look just like hers. That seemed to satisfy her until I opened his diaper to change it. The same look of concern came and she asked, "When will that fall off?" I replied, "Hopefully never", and we had a chat about what makes a boy a boy and a girl a girl.

12 comments:

Chelle! said...

Deanne, that made my day!!! How hilarious!! I love what little children say. It is better to laugh than to cry!!!

Harward Happenings said...

Thanks so much for sharing. I'm still laughing. That made my day.

Ker said...

Awesome story. Thanks Dean!

Renee said...

Out of the mouths of babes. Love the honesty that comes from them. Too funny!

Doug and Becca said...

Kids say the darndest things! Those are hilarious stories.

Jodi said...

Ha! I can always count on you to have amazing stories!

Kellie said...

I was thinking I can't stand what a great story teller you are! I am still laughing about your imaginary friends I'm glad you had time to post :D I miss you!

Beth said...

I love it! Scrambled huh? Fabulous!

Melanie said...

I'm not sure why this didn't work last time, but I'm trying it again. That is such a great story! I love the things kids say! By the way, I have a new blog if you want to check it out!

Rynell said...

Now that is funny!

Anonymous said...

sooo cute!!!!!!

needed a cute laugh, that was perfect :)

Anonymous said...

That really is so funny Deanne! Olivia will love that story when she is older:)