Monday, March 24, 2008

??????

This post will remain untitled until I can think of a title that does it justice. If you would like to add your suggestions in your comments, please feel free.

You all remember Shadow. He's the stray cat that adopted us last October, was run over (by me), and returned again. That alone should demonstrate his loyalty to our family, right? Well, a few weeks ago, he wasn't in his bed at bed time, so I left the garage door open a crack so he could return. That night at 4am, I heard meowing outside so I went to see if he was hurt. I saw Shadow with a little cat friend in our front yard. When they saw me, they both darted away. In the morning, Shadow was back. The next week, (last week) he disappeared for three days. I wondered if maybe he had been using us for our warm garage in the cold months and now he was moving on. We also thought that he was probably out "cattin' around" (as Darin puts it), and thought that if he did come back we should do the responsible thing and get him neutered to help control the pet population. He did return and that very day I called the Vet to make an appointment for him to be neutered. Yesterday was the day of the appointment. Darin dropped him off, and they said they would leave a message on my cell phone when he could be picked up. I subbed in the morning, and checked my messages when I got home. This is what the message said:

"Hi, this is the Animal Clinic. We have Shadow here, and it looks like he has already been neutered....really recently....probably in the last week or so. You can come get him anytime."


HUH???
So apparently when we thought he was out living out his rebellious teenage years, he was really recovering from SURGERY! I asked the vet if he was sure it happened recently, and he assured me that it happened within the last week to week and a half.

My mind was trying to comprehend how in the world that happened. Here were my theories.

1) A stray van came around to neuter all the strays in the area.
**this theory was shot when the vet told me that if that happens, they clip the ear of the cat. Shadow's ear remains un-clipped.

2) Some person saw him with their female cat and didn't want him to get her pregnant.
**this theory was quickly thrown out the window when common sense dictated that it would be MUCH more cost effective for the owner of the female cat to get their cat spayed rather than neuter every male cat that came around.

3) Random act of kindness
**if this is the case, it is THE most RANDOM random act of kindness ever!

4) He is a cheater.
Either he belonged to someone else when he came to our house, and he's cheating on them or he has since been out looking for another family to spend his time with and is cheating on us. This can be the only plausible explanation, because someone obviously felt that they owned him enough to pay to have him neutered. The thing that baffles me, though, is that he is ALWAYS here. (I'm sure that's what all victims of infidelity say.) The detective in me really wants to know what's going on. When I ran him over in January, his collar came off and was broken, so when he returned we got him a new collar. He only wore it for a couple of days, then it was gone. I thought that maybe someone else had taken it off of him, but I found the collar yesterday afternoon under his bed. I put the collar on him yesterday, and he had it on last night when I went to bed. He wasn't back home last night, but he is here this morning...with no collar. It is possible that he managed to wiggle out of it again, but we can't be so sure. The next step is to get another collar and attach a message to it. Although it might be pointless. What are we going to do? Create a custody agreement with the other owners? The thing that makes me laugh is that there is probably another blog post somewhere out there stating someone else's shock that someone would put a collar on their cat. In any event, Shadow (or whatever his name is) is here and neutered--with no cost to me. So, other family, if you're out there somewhere: Thank you.

14 comments:

Stacy said...

Deanne,
(the following comment should be read tongue in cheek)
I have tried to warn you and all the people out there about cats (see my blog post "the truth about dogs...and cats")and since you have named him Shadow, I am assuming he is also a black cat, in which you should see the blog post "A Valentine Ode to Blacketta" in which I detail the evilness of our black cat and I can only assume that all black cats share the same qualities. That said, he is for sure cheating on you. Cats will do anything and everything in their own best interest and he is obviously loving life as a two-timer who gets all the attention he wants. (And all the food for that matter). My suggestion: follow him one night, find out where his other "mistress family" is and catch him in the act! This gives "cattin around" a whole new meaning....

Melanie said...

Too funny! Maybe you should work out a feeding/sleeping arrangement for your joint-owned cat. One night, one place.....next night, the other....

He knows what he's doing, smart cat.

Chelle! said...

Maybe, just maybe, this cat is a twin and they are playing with your mind. They pretend to be the same cat and in all actuality, they are not. Have you been watching "Parent Trap" while Shadow has been present?

Kellie said...

lol!!! That is too funny! I'm glad you posted this because you are an excellent story teller!

Jodi said...

Okay - I'm going to start my blog surfing to find the other family - let's solve this mystery once and for all! If I can't find ther blog I say we dress in all black and follow Shadow around at night!

Maleen said...

I say, don't find the other family, but make sure to let Shadow out A LOT if he ever looks sick, or needs medical treatment. Free cat care is not easy to find these days, and if someone else is footing the bill...why mess with a good thing?

Kelly said...

So weird, Dean! Let us know if you solve the mystery!

Beth said...

Seriously? That kills me! I love it! Let me know wht you decide to write on his new collar... See ya in St. George

Jodi said...

That is hilarious! You will have to keep us posted on the infamous Shadow! I wonder if it is someone in your neighborhood!

Rynell said...

I think you have a cheater cat. I can't say that I'm surprised because I find the species very self-serving. Dogs, for the most part, are far more loyal than cats.

But hey, at least you didn't have to pay for the procedure...

Adrianne Miller said...

Hi! It's Adrianne. I totally found your blog accidentally! You never know what you get when you just start clicking huh!
Ours is at http://michaelandadrianne.blogspot.com

I'm so excited to read about your family! It was awesome seeing you in Walmart!

Adrianne

Anonymous said...

I thought your post was hysterical and then I read Stacy's post and just about died laughing!!!!

how funny is that!!!

Carlye said...

GET A DOG. Cats aren't loyal and he is probably cattin' around with another family. Gettin' it where he can!! But that is hilarious that he was neutered by someone else. Saved you money, but didn't you check? Thanks for the laugh:)I am even more of a fan of dogs, my lab loves people, but gets depressed to stay with another family. The collar bid is the most interesting.

Unknown said...

I have to admit, I don't think Izzy should read the comments about this post. She would be most unforgiving about all of the cat slamming, in particular about black cats. Because of course, our little Seraphina Sparkles Pearl Johnson is the most perfect pet in the world;)