Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Quotable Quotes

Our neighborhood has several pre-school groups that rotate houses. They are organized by age. David is in the group of 3-4 year olds that will all start kindergarten in a year and a half. Here are a couple of quotes from the last time it was at my house.

Ivory: "Hey Guys, come and see what I brought for Shell and Toe"

Lydia (to Alexis): "My name is Lid-DEE-ah"
Alexis: "It's just a really hard name, o.k. Lid-ah-la?"


And, totally unrelated to pre-school but totally related to quotable quotes, last night I heard a dad tell his son while giving him bubble gum, "Don't swallow it, o.k.?" It reminded me of the first time I gave Olivia gum. She was probably 3 or so. Here's how the conversation went.

Me: "Don't swallow your gum, ok?" When you're done, just spit it out in the trash but don't swallow it."

A little while later I noticed that she didn't have her gum in her mouth anymore.

Me: "Where did your gum go? Did you throw it away?"
Liv: "No"
Me: "Did you swallow it?"
Liv: "No"
Me: "Where did it go?"
Liv: "I just put it down my throat."

My tutorial about how to handle gum chewing likely would have been more effective if she actually knew the meaning of the word 'swallow'.

Gotta love kid quotes!

5 comments:

Pike's Place said...

Those cracked me up! I love those sweet little conversations!

Maleen said...

Those kids are so funny. Speaking of funny, David looked awesome when I went to pick up Ivory today. At first I was trying to decide which girl had cut her hair really short. It only took a split second to realize it was David. I think he looked better than most of the girls.

AnneMarie said...

So cute! That one reminds me of how Ross used to call Olivia "Liv-ee-la". Which I must confess we still call her sometimes amongst ourselves. :)

Unknown said...

That was a good morning laugh, thanks.

Laura said...

I love kids. They are so funny without even trying.