Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Double Digits

Where did the time go? When I became a mother, I was told continually how fast time goes. I now believe it, because I blinked and my oldest child turned 10! Holy cow. If the next ten years goes by this quickly (which I have a sneaking suspicion it will) I will be a mother of an adult before I know it! I am so proud of my girl. I expect too much of her, don't tell her how much I appreciate her, and get frustrated about silly things far too often. But honestly, I don't know what I would do without her. She is such a big helper with her little brothers, makes us all laugh, and has lots of talents. She recently made a really big decision about school. She handled it so well, and as I watched her struggle to come to a conclusion, I grew more and more confident that she will be a responsible adult and a contributing member of society--which is my main goal as a parent.
We only do birthday parties with friends every other year, so this year was a family party. She opened one present before school (a new outfit), I packed one present in her lunch (jewelry), and the rest (more clothes, perler beads, and lip gloss from her brothers) were saved for after school. (David was still napping)
Darin adopted an idea from my friend, Christa, and takes flowers to Liv's school for her birthday. I think she felt pretty special! (How old is she again? Oh yeah, 10--thanks Darin)
After presents (I know we did it a little backwards, but we had a packed evening, and I wanted her to be able to enjoy her presents) Darin and I took the boys to Renae's house, then took Liv to Olive Garden for dinner.

(Here she is doing a move that her good friend, Brooklyn, does)After a yummy dinner we went back to Renae's to collect the boys and have cupcakes and ice cream.
Here is Darin attempting Brooklyn's move:



(She was holding her breath because she blew out a candle while she was laughing)

I hope she wished for time to slow down!
After cupcakes and ice cream we loaded the fam in the car and went to see "Bedtime Stories". We really liked it! On her way up to bed she got one more present...a new bike (which she will have to enjoy in a month or two).
Happy Birthday, Liv!

11 comments:

Kelly said...

Happy Birthday, Liv! Double Digits??? Yeah, that makes me feel old, too! Looks like she had a fun-filled day!

Anonymous said...

Happy Bday !!!! I didn't realize that she and my daughter are so close in age, she just turned 10 in September. Cool!

Carrie said...

Wow! Happy Birthday Liv! I can't believe it either. Ten really? Sounds like she had wonerful day!

Melanie said...

Happy Birthday Olivia! I can't believe it. Doesn't it seem like yesterday Bryson and Olivia were in kindergarten together? I'm having a hard time with the double digits too!

We sure miss you guys!

Jodi said...

Happy 10th birthday to Liv...looks like she had a great day! We need to have her over for a "birthday late night" sometime soon!

Maleen said...

Wow, TEN!! She seems older to me somehow, maybe because she is so responsible. I would ask if she is getting all ready to babysit in the next year or so, but she probably does plenty of babysitting already with her brothers.
Happy Birthday Olivia. You look beautiful!

Unknown said...

What a fun birthday! I was having a missing Orem moment today and that didn't help. Happy birthday Olivia, hope you had a great day.

AnneMarie said...

Happy B-day to "Liv-ee-la"! The whole 10 thing is freaking me out! I'm glad she had such a nice day.

denise @ little ant design said...

Happy Birthday Liv. The outfit you are wearing in the pictures is so so cute - I want it for me. Was that your birthday outfit?

Rynell said...

Happy Birthday! Wow-10! It kind of freaks me out that I will have a 10 year old soon. Time flies!

Cindy B said...

Happy Birthday to Liv! She is such a sweet girl. I hope her day was great.