Sunday, July 1, 2012

Concerts in the Park

Almost every Sunday in June for about as long as I can remember I have gone to what we call "Concert in the Park".  I'm not sure if that's its official title, but it fits.  We sit on the grass in the shade, eat treats (caramel popcorn is a must), listen to beautiful music and enjoy good company.  Half way through the concert the conductor hands over his baton to a guest while he leads the children (and grown ups, too) in a "walk about" (basically a stroll around the park).   When I was little the conductor wore a white suit.  He was bald and happy and very kind.  Back in my day, it was less of a stroll and more of a spirited march.  One phrase that I said as a very young child has stuck and is repeated almost every time by someone..."I no wah mahch" (Translation: I don't want to march).  I am a sucker for tradition and am happy I get to share this childhood tradition with my kids.



Apparently only a select few were aware that I was taking the photo. 



1 comment:

Maleen said...

So fun. I've never heard of that. But what a great activity for the family. Put it on the Neighborhood group next year...