Friday, December 4, 2009

Festival of Trees (I Spy style)

Since 99% of my good ideas are borrowed, I know I borrowed this from someone (Maleen, possibly?). On our way up to Festival of Trees, the kids and I listed some things that we thought would be unlikely to see as a tree decoration. This outing was perfectly timed. Rylee was clogging, so we were able to support her, have cousins to enjoy the outing with, and have a few extra sets of hands to help with Brig. Here are some of the things on our list that we found. It was very exciting when we saw something on our I Spy list.

Pig
Football
Soccer ball and Baseball
ClownsAngel (this one was pretty much a given, but it was still exciting to find it):Spiderman:We never did find Olivia's hamburger, but we did find this tree. We counted it.We also saw something that wasn't on our list. A Josh! (my nephew)
Here are some other trees that I thought were fun:
Check out who is on the tippy top of Santa's "nice" list. He was elated! I think this more than made up for all the times my kids have browsed the personalized pencil/key chain section to find all the names except Warren.

It is always sobering to see all the photos of the people who are being honored. It tugs at my heartstrings and reminds me that each day counts. (That last sentence will make the next paragraph seem very ironic. Oh well. Here I go.) I will admit that I grew very weary of saying, "Get up off the floor" (they were tagging each other Mini Mode style), "Stop chasing each other", "Watch where you're going", "Please stop running" "Stop bugging each other" and then on the ride home, "Please be kind", "If you can't say somethin' nice, don't say nothin' at all". I was about to yell, "I'm trying to make fun memories, now will you please knock it off!" Instead, I cranked up Christmas music in the van loud enough that they couldn't hear each other's insults and I couldn't hear the arguing or the tattling. It worked, because after not too long, I turned around to see them like this: (don't worry. I was stopped at a red light with no other cars when I took these photos. The one of Brig I took as I was getting him out of the car)

Doesn't it look like they like each other? Minutes before this was taken they were both in tears.

I will still call this outing a success. I know that it's normal for siblings to bicker occasionally. If we waited for our kids to be best friends to go on outings, we would be hermits. I know that they love each other, even if they don't always show it. I hope that when they grow up, they will remember happy times sprinkled in with the less than ideal.
I can't wait for the 2010 version of I Spy. I'm already working on my list...

9 comments:

Kelly said...

Love the I Spy idea...I'll definitely be using that one! Looks like you guys had a great time...despite the arguing. Of course, they'll only remember the happy, fun stuff...and by next week, that's all you'll remember too! Love you!

Maleen said...

I forgot that we spied stuff last year. Thanks for the reminder. I'm trying to get us there tomorrow.

As for the list of names and personalized paraphernalia, my kids names are NEVER there. But then again, neither was mine.

Jodi said...

It was a fun outing (despite the kids running, chasing, tagging in mini-mode - actually - that's probably what made it fun for Coleman!)...thanks for coming with us.

Laura said...

Deanne, your blog sounded like a blast from the past for me. How many times did I think my kids would always be fighting or arguing with each other, that I would never have a peaceful ride in the car or that they would grow up hating each other. I'm happy to report that the miracle does happen. They do mature, grow up and realize that they not only love each other but they LIKE each other too. My kids love spending time with each other now and are very supportive of each other. Just remember it will all be worth it.

Unknown said...

That's a great idea. Too bad I'm not around to use it.

CarrieLu and Madi too said...

I've never been to The Festival of Trees. We'll have to go sometime. Awesome trees. Good job crankin' up the music and putting the kids to sleep.

Natalie said...

Thanks for the fun idea. We've never been to the festival of trees before but now I want to check it out sometime. Have a great day Deanne!

Anonymous said...

I love that blue and gold tree w the angel. Love the pix! you are too gorgeous

shawna said...

so I was there the same day! But with all that madness I am not surprised we didn't bump into eachother. My son absolutely loved the Call and Elf thing. And Alaina kept wanting to buy all the Christmas trees (those with the best gifts underneath would go for top dollar). I guess the whole thing was a little beyond her. I kept trying to explain that if you bought the tree the gifts went to someone else. Where did I go wrong?