Thursday, April 9, 2009

A Random Memory

Here is the story I mentioned in the previous post about the joys of boys (and girls). When I was in elementary school my across the street neighbor and good friend was a boy. We spent almost every afternoon together playing kick ball, jumping on the trampoline, etc. and many evenings playing night games. One afternoon I had a friend over and he had a friend over (we were all friends from school). There was a tiff of some sort, and we went to our separate houses. After a few minutes there was a knock at my door. It was the boys with a peace offering in the form of popsicles. They said, "We're sorry, do you want a popsicle?" (and just a side note about my weird memory--there were two popsicles; one yellow and one red. I have a hard time remembering important stuff, but there's plenty of room to remember what color popsicles were twenty years ago!) Anyway, we said, "Sure" and reached out to accept the peace offering. The boys then said, "TOO BAD!" and ran away. We were not about to let them get away with that so we began plotting our revenge. We started scouring my house for the best it had to offer and eventually came up with...white bread. We promptly took our two slices of white bread across the street to put our plan in place. We knocked, they answered. We said, "We're sorry, do you guys want some bread?" (really original of us, I know) to which the boys replied, "No." and shut the door.

The reason I thought the timing of this random memory was so funny is that it popped into my head just a few days before Sean denied his friend-girl at the skating rink, and it gave me hope for Sean's future with girls. I am friends with both of these popsicle/bread boys on facebook, and they have both turned out great (for the record, they were pretty great back then, too). They are responsible citizens and they are wonderful to the women in their lives. I guess I can relax a little bit and realize that at this age part of playing IS fighting. I'm sure life would have been boring without these little tiffs, and it sure makes for some fun memories!

5 comments:

Pike's Place said...

That's hilarious! And I agree -- why do we remember such random things and not the day-to-day obligations? :) Boys and girls are so funny at that age . . . amd as we age, it just gets more complicated. :)

Wright Family said...

I love that you remember the colors. Tyler always seems amazed at the childhood memories I have. The joys I have to look forward to as Seth and Liam get older. I hope I can handle them.

Anonymous said...

that is awesome! glad you recorded it :)

Natalie said...

I love your random stories. It makes me want to think back hard and remember some of my own. I have to say I'm curious as to who those boys were. Do I know them?

STL Crew said...

I am cracking-up as I admit to being that one friend who so intelligently helped locate the white bread for our traitorous revenge! Thanks for one of many, many awesome memories from our fantastic childhood as latch-key kids! We will have to reminisce even more when we get the chance about the good old days! (I just don't know why we didn't offer two of the things we couldn't live without back then - our daily doses of homemade hot chocolate or plums that we had to jump on the trampoline to get! They surely would've fallen for those!)